History paper 2 topics question

YeunJi Lee

Hi,im in history sl, and i have an ib mock in a week (OMG)

we chose the following two topics and studied only what are listed

1. single party states

- ideology

- Hitler, rise of power

2. cold war

- origin of cold war (1945-49)

I think i might be able to choose an essay question from cold war section,

but when i saw a list of question for SPS in 2009 exam paper, I WAS TOTALLY FREAKED OUT

we never studied 2 leaders of SPS and nor did we studied anything else except Hitler

should I study by myself for musolini or other SPS leaders?

Help me, please...

You are given 5 questions from each topic. Was there no other essay question you read that seemed like something you could write about?

If you are really concerned about it, go ahead and do Mussolini, but honestly, your studying isn't going to be as good, because you didn't cover it in class. Do you have historiography, text books and stuff to study for Mussolini from?

P.S. your teacher should have been aware that you might possibly get a compare and contrast question. You only covered Hitler for sure?

Edited by Julie

Oh yeah, Spanish Civil war is a good on. I have tons of stuff on that, so I can help out. Maybe it would be a good idea, you know, just so you are on the safe side.

Also, will you be finishing the Cold War? Because if you are just doing the origins, that is about 1/4 of the whole Cold war chapter from the IB Companion. It isn't that much.

Edited by Julie

1) I just checked the calender, and i think we would study Castro later... (after the MOCK -_-)

but I don't think we are going to study more Cold War stuff

are we soooo behind? It's my teacher's first year to teach IB

2) oh, and could you give me any tip for writing paper 2?

whenever I study a lot, I still get 5 or 6 in knowledge understanding

how do i get 7? i wrote all the dates correctly, all the details...

i don't really understand the grading system

when i did IGCSE, i used to get 90 or 95 for the entire paper

I'm sorry to say, but in my opinion you are very behind. For paper 1, we covered the full Communism and Crisis and for paper 2 we have completed the entire: causes, practices and effects of wars, origins and developments of authoritarian and single-party states (Mussolini, Hitler and the Spanish Civil War) and Nationalist and independent movements in post-1945 Central and Eastern European State- Poland and Czechoslovakia. And of course, we didn't just do the IB Companion info, that is DEFINITELY not enough...

These are things you need to check out with your teacher, cause it could cause a problem. For instance, what if there is not questions about the origins of the cold war? What if you are asked about the impact? or a specific event, like the korean war, or the hungarian uprisings, etc.? Get my point? Have you covered those things?

I'll write up some tips on paper 2 writing and post them in the "sticky" in the history forum titled something like: reading, note taking and knowing what to expect, so check it out in a little bit. I needa write it all up first.

Ok... I fixed it up for Paper 2 and 3. Read the last three sections (starting with: how to approach paper 2 and 2...). Here is the link:

If you need any additional information, let us know :)

Edited by Julie

The Arab-Israeli Conflict is your prescribed title, so if you know it in detail, you are set for Paper 1 :)

Start reading the rest of those topics. See if you can get ahold of some historiography. If you can't, I have some stuff for the single-party states. I didn't cover the cold war though.

Just make sure you know all of those sections in the IB Companion in detail.

When my teacher starts teaching us pointless stuff, I secretly start studying. I pretend to follow alone in the IB Companion, but I'm actually on another page studying something else. I also put different papers on top of others, to make it look like that too :P Try that out if your teacher goes on a rant about something pointless. But keep in mind, the IB Companion is not enough information.

Good thing you are in SL... you would be missing a lot more if you had to study on your own for a Paper 3 :P

Don't freak out though. It is all very doable :) Just start working now, little by little each day.

I looked this over and thought that you really could be in panic mode, that you would need to find a lot of shortcuts for learning everything in the next two months, but under your name it says that you take the exams in 2012. If that's the case then you don't have to worry, your not far behind where my class was at this point last year (though I'm not sure how closely you covered WWII). You can make it through this with what you know. There should be questions about Hitler and the beginning of the Cold War on Paper 2 and if you know it really well then you should be able to get through. Paper 3 is the hard one, you'll probably have to use a lot of knowledge that you didn't get from the IB class on that one. We didn't study the American Revolution in my IB class, but I knew enough about that that I felt able to answer a question about it for my mock exams. On a side note, Canadian politics: I did not know that there were such things, but apparently they come up a lot on Paper 3, I would learn about those in time for the actual exam, but never worry about the practice exams too much.

I looked this over and thought that you really could be in panic mode, that you would need to find a lot of shortcuts for learning everything in the next two months, but under your name it says that you take the exams in 2012. If that's the case then you don't have to worry, your not far behind where my class was at this point last year (though I'm not sure how closely you covered WWII). You can make it through this with what you know. There should be questions about Hitler and the beginning of the Cold War on Paper 2 and if you know it really well then you should be able to get through. Paper 3 is the hard one, you'll probably have to use a lot of knowledge that you didn't get from the IB class on that one. We didn't study the American Revolution in my IB class, but I knew enough about that that I felt able to answer a question about it for my mock exams. On a side note, Canadian politics: I did not know that there were such things, but apparently they come up a lot on Paper 3, I would learn about those in time for the actual exam, but never worry about the practice exams too much.

That's for my rest of the IB exam though.. :)

Since history SL is one year course, i must take the exam in May 2011, which is two months later o_O

But anyway thanks for ur concern and reply :)

The Arab-Israeli Conflict is your prescribed title, so if you know it in detail, you are set for Paper 1 :)

Start reading the rest of those topics. See if you can get ahold of some historiography. If you can't, I have some stuff for the single-party states. I didn't cover the cold war though.

Just make sure you know all of those sections in the IB Companion in detail.

When my teacher starts teaching us pointless stuff, I secretly start studying. I pretend to follow alone in the IB Companion, but I'm actually on another page studying something else. I also put different papers on top of others, to make it look like that too :P Try that out if your teacher goes on a rant about something pointless. But keep in mind, the IB Companion is not enough information.

Good thing you are in SL... you would be missing a lot more if you had to study on your own for a Paper 3 :P

Don't freak out though. It is all very doable :) Just start working now, little by little each day.

Julie! I don't know how to thank u

u r really a lot of help to me :)

there are no one to help me around this area (even the teacher :b)

and yeah, i know, ib history book doesnt have much information... and yes, i should start working now!!

Thank u again and hope u a good score for your IB exam!