Choosing IB-subjects?

2Hidden

We are going to choose our IB-subjects now, but I'm not really sure. I've emailed the universities I want to apply to, and asked them about this, but they say one thing and our IB Coordinator says something else, so I'm confused now.

I want to become a Zoologist, so of course, I must choose Biology HL and Chemistry HL, and Geography in HL or SL. But then comes the problem.

This is the subjects and levels the IB Coordinator in our school suggest I should choose:

HL: Chemistry, Biology, English B

SL: Maths, Swedish A1, Geography

She says I should choose Swedish to be on the safe side if I couldn't study in UK.

And this is the subjects and levels I want to choose and think it's right:

HL: Chemistry, Biology, Geography

SL: Maths, English A1, French B,

or

HL: Chemistry, Biology, French B

SL:Maths, English A1, Geography

From the beginning, this (below) was the "combination" I wanted to choose, but our IB Coordinator said it is not possible, is she right?

SL: Maths, Geography, English A1

What she meant was that it's not possible to choose two English, but, they are from two different groups so it should be possible (right?), that's why I hesitate.

So, what do you think? Which of these combinations do you think it's best if I choose, if I want to study Zoology in UK (preferably Glasgow or Aberdeen) when I've finished IB?

SL: Maths, Geography, English A1

Your IB Coordinator is absolutely right when s/he says that this is impossible. You can't study the same language in both Groups 1 and 2, seeing as Group 2 is supposed to be a foreign language while Group 1 is your native language, or the one you're most familiar with. You can take English A2 along with your first language (Swedish A1) so that you're still in the higher level for English, without having to sacrifice the other language course you take.

HL: Chemistry, Biology, Geography

SL: Maths, English A1, French B,

or

HL: Chemistry, Biology, French B

SL:Maths, English A1, Geography

As for this, it depends on whether you're good at French. There's not that much difference between French B SL and HL, I believe; you just have to have the familiarity with the language and its components (grammar, vocabulary, syntax, connotation) more so than SL.

I'm not entirely sure about having to take Swedish to get into a Sweden college, but I would follow your IB Coordinator's advice. They are definitely more familiar with the standards of college admissions for your country than anyone else. And even if you're still unsure, ask your teachers! The Swedish teacher would be wise to ask, as well as the French instructor.