Starting IB this year

Rigel

Hey IB Survival, i'm from Peru, and i'm starting IB1 this year, (well, in fact i'm starting it this Monday), and i have some questions:

I'm gonna take this courses at IB1:

Physics SL

Math SL

Chem (I forgot if it was SL or HL)

Geography HL

History SL

English HL

Spanish HL

So, is Geography HL a hard course? My Geography teacher told us that it was the largest IB exam, and it is one of the most difficult subjects. Is she just trying to get us scared? :( Or is it really hard?

And i'm pretty good at Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. I've been teaching myself Maths and Physics this summer (I'm nerdy i know :) Calculus and Mechanics); will it be hard or not?

And i'm pretty confident with History (My father is a History maniac and he can help a lot with that), Spanish is not that hard, and a lot of my friends tell me that i'm really good at English (I don't know if this is true honestly) :)

Well thank you guys for viewing this thread and THANKS a lot if you repply! :o

Adios.

Something else: I wanted to study Physics HL and Math HL, but our school doesn't have those courses on HL :( A lot of people at my school struggle with Math and Physics, being Physics the most difficult one.

Edited by Desy ♫

Wow 7 courses :P aww so bad you can't take Math HL and Phy HL :( I think your course might be tough, though...

I heard Geog is hard. In my school it's very research-based. Not sure about other schools, but in here the Geog students always go to the comp lab and do research on the chapters. The teacher never really taught them. And the students never do really well in their tests. I suppose it's because some of them are just too lazy and because the teacher didn't really teach them well. You'll have a lot of case studies, btw.

Math SL and Phy SL might be easy for you then. Physics is sometimes confusing but if you get it you would be able to do the questions ;)

English A HL might be challenging with the new syllabus.

What do you want to study in uni, though? You may consider dropping one of Phy/Chem/Hist/Geog. I suggest dropping Geography :P

I have heard about the new English syllabus, but I don't know what's changed. Got any insider scoops Desy? :P

Back on topic, I would hope that you are taking Chem SL; it's usually the hardest science curriculum-wise (though not necessarily hardest to get a 7 in), and if you're going to take 7 course I would recommend not doing 4 HL ones.

History should not be a problem if you like the subject, but if not I'm not sure your father being a history buff would necessarily help all that much.

Heh thanks everyone for the repplies!

Desy: Yeah i would like to take Phys and Math HL (I want a REAL challenge, but... >.<) I plan to study Physics in Uni, i would like to study at McGill University in Canada, been there already 2 times :) Even took a tour around the university. Yeah our teacher even gave us IB material to practise, i'm really good at Geo, (But i don't like it that much); i always write gigantic answers in my exams. :) Using IB papers, with the mark scheme, i got a 16/20, and in our final Geo exam, i got a 20/20 with the mark scheme!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy heheh. And i can't drop Geo HL, i think it's a compulsory course in our school. =/

Proletariat: I also hope that i will be taking Chem SL, i'm not that interested in Chemistry as i am in Physics and Maths; and i love History :) And i know it won't help that much.

chrismclee: Well haha i don't know if i'm smart. :)

I hope English HL isn't that hard as you guys were saying.