Concentration question

BI Duck

I think people are getting confused with the 'M'. It can mean molar as in number of moles per volume or it can mean number of moles. (although 'n' should be used for number of moles eg. nNaCl)

Drake was in fact correct. The concentration of NaCl(aq)= (no. of moles of NaCl)/(volume)

ok so my point is...

say you have 30 ml of 1 M of NaCl in the beginning.

you add 20 ml of pure water.

now you have 50 ml of NaCl with the same number of mol of NaCl as the reagent, but different concentration with the reagent.

new [NaCl] = new [Na+] = new [Cl-] ≠ initial [NaCl]

sorry to confuse you guys

sorry to confuse you guys

No, I don't think it's anyone's fault. It's the notation 'M', while Drake and I were thinking molar, you were thinking moles. Try replacing 'moles' or 'molar' into the original question; 'Moles' you get your answer which is 'yes', 'molar' you get Drake's which is 'depends on volume'.

Edited by Keel

no, Keel, I know M is molar (concentration). actually at first I was thinking that she asked whether the initial conc and the new conc would be the same. Drake and the rest were thinking that she asked whether the new NaCl conc and the new ions conc would be the same.

so it's answered.

new [NaCl] = new [Na+] = new [Cl-] ≠ initial [NaCl]

I completely disagree. If that was the case, why would she state "and the water dissociates it" when the salt is already dissociated in the original solution? The fist 'M' is clearly moles not molar. The question is whether the second 'M' is moles or molar. This will need clarifying. Without it, there are two interpretations to the question.

1. Will I have 1 molar Na+ and Cl-?

2. Will there be one moles of Na+ and Cl- in the solution?

Both of those answers are yes. It says it is a 1M solution so you will have 1M of the ions and 1mol of the ions assuming there is 1L of the solution lol :angry:

Well we can't assume! 'Yes' if the volume is 100dm3, 'No' if it is not. Plus he said in 'a given measurement of water' what are the chances that that will be 100dm3?

That is true. However, how do you know he is asking question 1 and not 2? Couldn't the question be about the moles of ions in the solution and whether they fully disociate or not? I don't think theres any point in talking about this until he comes back and asks the the right question :angry:.