General Analysis

lbkaisas

Hey, this might be kind of stupid to post, but I'm really worried about History. It used to be one of my strong subjects, but IB kinda took that away from me. Even though i know my stuff I don't get good grades, so the problem basically lies in how I answer the questions. Our teacher doesn't seem to find it important to teach that to us, but my analysis and essay skills do not seem to be very good according to the grades I get. People always tell me to go in depth on the question, but I'm not sure how to do that. I would be really grateful if someone could help me out here, because I'm pretty sure I can do it I just have to figure out how to answer it according to IB criteria.

Hey, this might be kind of stupid to post, but I'm really worried about History. It used to be one of my strong subjects, but IB kinda took that away from me. Even though i know my stuff I don't get good grades, so the problem basically lies in how I answer the questions. Our teacher doesn't seem to find it important to teach that to us, but my analysis and essay skills do not seem to be very good according to the grades I get. People always tell me to go in depth on the question, but I'm not sure how to do that. I would be really grateful if someone could help me out here, because I'm pretty sure I can do it I just have to figure out how to answer it according to IB criteria.

I know EXACTLY was you mean! My teachers comments were always, 'need more depth', 'develop further'. From my experience I think you have to take some time before each essay and really break up the question or title. There are many ways the question may start e.g. 'To what extent…', 'For what reasons and with what results did…' or 'Compare and contrast…' So, for each of these you must understand the requirements of the question. i.e. what is the question trying to get you to do?

There is also the problem with question 'parameters' e.g. 'From 1945-61, …' or 'Between X and Y, discuss…' Its really tempting to see a 'Cold War origins' question or 'causes of WWI question' and write EVERYTHING you know about the subject without paying attention to the question parameters and what should or shouldn't be included.

As for the 'depth' part, I found that it is indeed to do with how you analyse the evidence in response to the question. So referring back to those starting phrases of the question, after you've present the evidence and done your analysis bring it back to the question to answer 'to what extent' or 'This was one of the main factors which cause Z' or 'Thus, X and Y were not as similar as they may appear.' Its sort of a semi-conclusion of what you have found within that paragraph and how that relates to the question.

I hope this helps. I think practice is key and that with practice your marks automatically get higher. As your exams are in 2012 I'm sure you'll have plenty of practice. I was in a similar situation to you last year. The problem will go away by itself.

Edited by Keel