What IB subjects should I choose?

Mary Pie

I'm now choosing my schedule for my IB junior year and I'm kinda unsure what I should or should not choose. I come from Norway and the IB application over there is a bit different.

The school has already chosen 3 subjects for me: TOK, World Lit, Arabic II, and something history. I science I can choose between Biology and Chemistry (2 years each) and in math I can choose Math Studies (Low level), Calculus AB or math studies (standard level), or Calculus AC and Calculus w/analytical geometry (high level). My math teacher told me that I should take both high level math so that I can skip senior year's history class which I really DON'T want to take. But at the same time, if I choose two math courses I will have a total of 7 IB subjects as I won't be taking art. Will it be very difficult? Should I choose standard math and art instead? Also, I'm thinking of taking Chemistry, is that a good idea? Should I wait till I'm in college to take chemistry or doesn't it matter? What will benefit me most if I'm going to major in something biology+chemistry related?

I'm not that familiar with the American system but I'll try to help :(

What is World Lit? Is that a language class? In IB it refers to an essay you'll have to write in your Language A1 course (ie your first and/or best language)

I would not take math studies unless you want to become something totally unrelated to math after you finish IB. Take math SL at least if you want to do something remotely math-related. If you're not amazing at math I would go with math SL. Also, would you rather take math HL or an extra history class? What are you better at/enjoy more?

If you want to take chemistry, can't you take chemistry instead of art? If you want to do something biology/chemistry related then definitely take chemistry if you have the chance, it would be better to learn it now than later.

:)

• Like 1

I'm not that familiar with the American system but I'll try to help :D

What is World Lit? Is that a language class? In IB it refers to an essay you'll have to write in your Language A1 course (ie your first and/or best language)

I would not take math studies unless you want to become something totally unrelated to math after you finish IB. Take math SL at least if you want to do something remotely math-related. If you're not amazing at math I would go with math SL. Also, would you rather take math HL or an extra history class? What are you better at/enjoy more?

If you want to take chemistry, can't you take chemistry instead of art? If you want to do something biology/chemistry related then definitely take chemistry if you have the chance, it would be better to learn it now than later.

:)

World lit is the literature subject. I see that your school has the same system as the Norwegian schools, so you're probably not familiar with the American, or my school's, IB system. I want to do chemistry/medicine in college, so I will need to take both biology and chemistry. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer us the choice of selecting both. Apparently we have to be satisfied with knowing only one science .. I'm not allowed to switch art with a science class. I enjoy math a lot more than history plus my math grade has always been high, but the thing is ... it's IB math. I don't know the degree of difficulty or the amount of hw I will get, and therefore I hope that there's anyone in this forum that have taken those math classes that could tell me a bit about them. (:

Thank you for your help, anyways! :(

Oh OK I get it now...thanks for clearing it up :)

If you can't pick both...which science do you like more? Take the one you like the most. If you want to do medicine biology is more useful in my opinion, but check the prerequisites for whichever uni(s) you want to go to.

Math SL isn't bad if you're decent at math. If you're not good at math (like me) then you may have to work at it a bit. Math HL is tougher, and usually people who are very good at math/like math take it. I believe most people in math HL at my school are coping OK, but some people dropped it at the beginning of the year because of its difficulty. Since you seem to be good at math and you don't want to take the history course, take HL. If you find it too hard you can drop to SL.

:(

Edited by Summer Glau