Organic Chemistry SL

Colin

So my teacher says it's really hard. Is it really as hard as she making it sound or? Any tips to doing well throughout the chapter and some extra things I can do in order to do well?

Look, I found organic chemistry to be extremely easy. The only thing is that you have to learn a lot by heart, but otherwise it is pretty straightforward. Ops just noticed that you are a SL student! Ok, it is going to be VERY VERY easy for you! Just spent some hours studying hard and you should be fine! yes.gif Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Know the IUPAC naming thing

I agree! this is the most important thing to remember. And also, know the different reaction pathways by heart, even if you don't really understand how they work. I still don't get the S1 and S2 mechanisms, but I still managed to get a 7 in both SL and HL tests!

There is only one thing you can do to succeed in this topic: memorize everything!

Good luck :)

i find organic chemistry is a mixture of difficult theories, but like everyone has said, memorization and understanding is the best way to go.

Like, understanding the SN1 and SN2 mechanisms took forever for me.. as well as the elimination reactions and knowing all the pathways of reactions, just because there were SO MANY.

but other than that, the naming is fairly straightforward and the topic in itself is not too difficult. especially since you're taking SL, so you don't have to cover so much depth.

maybe it's just your teacher who doesn't like teaching it.. haha, people only like it if they have a flair for it.

you'll do fine.. :)

Simple?

It is going to seem very hard in the beginning, but once you understand it, it will be the easiest topic you have to revise for. This is what happened with us, we really loved it in the end.

P.S We did HL Organic, Options SL & HL Organic.

So SL organic is very easy once you understand it. :)