How is this for subjects next year?

Solid.snake

I am in the Pre-IB grade 10 program at my school right now and here is what I am thinking so far for IB1:

HL:

Biology (Group 4)

Physics (Group 6)

Chemistry (Group 4)

SL:

Math (Group 5)

English (Group 1)

French (Group 2)

ITGS (Group 3)

See, the thing is, I'm not sure if I can handle all 3 sciences HL. I'm pretty good in Bio (Chem as well) but I haven't had much experience with physics yet. Is there anyone out there taking all 3 HL sciences? My only other alternative would be to take HL Bio, Chem and Math. HL Bio and Chem are a must, but I'm wondering how it will turn out with HL Math/Physics. I plan to go to university for a Science Major (BSc) and then go to medical school after that. Would physics really be essential for that? I would like to keep my options open if I end up not going into medical school after my undergrad, but then again 3 HL sciences is no small feat according to what I've heard.

I'm not even sure if I can take 4 SL courses, along with ToK (wow, that makes 3HL, 4SL + ToK, which would make all my courses IB XD).

What do you guys think? HL Math or HL Physics?

Honestly, I believe that is impossible. your English and History are automatically HL. There's nothing you can do about those (or so I've been told). You get to pick a third HL, which can be an Art or a Science depending on what you want. I've had people pick a fourth for HL Math, going for Calculus junior year.

Anyway, you are freaking
insane
to try for three IB sciences, never mind on HL. I'm sure you want to sleep. I barely get enough taking HL Bio (homework i am currently procrastinating on). I would greatly reconsider taking more than one HL science. I haven't had experience in IB Chem or Physics, but I'm very sure they are just as hard as Bio. Trust me, you make think you're pretty good at Bio now, but IB Biology is nothing like AP/standard level biology classes. :/ If you feel you need to overachieve (
XD
) just go for HL Bio and HL Math.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just realistic. Don't do it to yourself
XD
anyway, all your classes are going to be IB when you hit actually 11th grade IB courses. And HL's don't really matter (except math) until senior year. Or at elast in Biology that's teh way it is. Junior year I learned SL material and this year I'm adding to it with the HL information. Someone else probably has more knowledge on how everything works, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to take what your planning.

Edited by Sigath

Yeah you're right. 3 HL sciences definitely isn't a small feat! You seem to want to take biology and chemistry the most so I would just take those two.

You don't need HL physics for medical school. You definitely won't need it in Canada, since you have to do a bachelor's degree first anyways, but if you're thinking about applying abroad then you may need it (check requirements for wherever you want to apply). If you want to keep your options open there are plenty of jobs out there not relating to med school at all but are related to both bio and chem.

Math and physics are both considered tougher HL subjects. However I suggest you go with the HL bio/chem/math combination because then you don't have to take 7 subjects (not to mention 3 HL sciences!) 6 subjects is enough for most people to handle anyways. Taking 3 science HL subjects (plus your other 4 subjects) would be very hard unless you are one of those (rare) extremely dedicated, non-procrastinator people! XD

Since you live in Canada there is probably the option of summer school available to you. You could take physics in summer school. I did this. Yes, you won't learn as much in summer school because of the fast pace but at least you will have the credit should physics be a prerequisite for university.

PS - Is math HL really your only option besides physics HL? XD

There is one problem here. One of you sciences will have to be a certificate subject, so while you could possibly do 3 HL sciences if you were insane, you would also have to pick another subject to complete at high level because only your two best sciences will actually count towards your diploma and the third will just be an extra subject for unis to look at. To be honest, save your self now and don't attempt 3 HL sciences while doing 7 subjects. If you are quite good at science or simply need two HL sciences for after school, it may be quite manageable, but you don't want to dig yourself into a hole in terms of workload with IB already being so rigorous with just 6 subjects. To be honest though, taking two HL sciences and HL maths along with an extra subject isn't very easy either, so are you sure that is your only option since technically you cant do 3 HL sciences without another HL.Talk to your coordinator, and just figure out what you can do to make the next 2 years bearable while doing the subjects you need.

Honestly, I believe that is impossible. your English and History are automatically HL. There's nothing you can do about those (or so I've been told). You get to pick a third HL, which can be an Art or a Science depending on what you want. I've had people pick a fourth for HL Math, going for Calculus junior year.

Anyway, you are freaking
insane
to try for three IB sciences, never mind on HL. I'm sure you want to sleep. I barely get enough taking HL Bio (homework i am currently procrastinating on). I would greatly reconsider taking more than one HL science. I haven't had experience in IB Chem or Physics, but I'm very sure they are just as hard as Bio. Trust me, you make think you're pretty good at Bio now, but IB Biology is nothing like AP/standard level biology classes. :/ If you feel you need to overachieve (
XD
) just go for HL Bio and HL Math.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just realistic. Don't do it to yourself
XD
anyway, all your classes are going to be IB when you hit actually 11th grade IB courses. And HL's don't really matter (except math) until senior year. Or at elast in Biology that's teh way it is. Junior year I learned SL material and this year I'm adding to it with the HL information. Someone else probably has more knowledge on how everything works, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to take what your planning.

Where I am, I can take English and History HL or SL and those aren't the most important subjects to me so I'm taking them SL. I'll take the suggestion of trying to get some sleep to heart... although I don't see what the excitement surrounding sleep is. Lol just kidding :P.

Yeah you're right. 3 HL sciences definitely isn't a small feat! You seem to want to take biology and chemistry the most so I would just take those two.

You don't need HL physics for medical school. You definitely won't need it in Canada, since you have to do a bachelor's degree first anyways, but if you're thinking about applying abroad then you may need it (check requirements for wherever you want to apply). If you want to keep your options open there are plenty of jobs out there not relating to med school at all but are related to both bio and chem.

Math and physics are both considered tougher HL subjects. However I suggest you go with the HL bio/chem/math combination because then you don't have to take 7 subjects (not to mention 3 HL sciences!) 6 subjects is enough for most people to handle anyways. Taking 3 science HL subjects (plus your other 4 subjects) would be very hard unless you are one of those (rare) extremely dedicated, non-procrastinator people! :P

Since you live in Canada there is probably the option of summer school available to you. You could take physics in summer school. I did this. Yes, you won't learn as much in summer school because of the fast pace but at least you will have the credit should physics be a prerequisite for university.

PS - Is math HL really your only option besides physics HL? XD

Well for what I was considering going into uni for, I guess I won't need physics (judging from your post). I don't think I would be able to keep up with the "(rare) extremely dedicated, non-procrastinator" type of worth ethic. Especially with what you guys told me lies ahead with 3 HL sciences. And yes, it is (was) pretty much between Physics and Math HL because I'm fairly good at math (my teacher recommended HL for me next year).

I would consider taking physics during the summer though. Although my mark may suck a lot if I do... But thanks for your suggestions! :)