Guest Parshant DiPersia

Guest Parshant DiPersia

hi, i'm a grade student studying in the MYP program

well, i've chosen

HL - math, chemistry, english

SL - economics, physics, french

i'm looking to go into engineering

i've heard HL math is a killeR!

please help me, can you give any feedback on how hard it is.

and how i can study in advance, any good textbooks?

any help will be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!

first off, I would like to point out that you need both math HL and phy HL for engineering XD

Look at my subjects combination. I suggest a similar one:

English A HL

French B SL

Econs SL

Phy HL

Math HL

Chem SL

Chem HL is not easy btw

How well are you currently coping in math? Do you like math? Do you find it easy?

I am doing well in math HL and haven't found it difficult :lc: I love math. That's probably why I am enjoying it.

However I do know some people who are struggling in math HL and regret taking it.

It is very subjective. Objectively, I would say yeah it's challenging. But do not scare yourself! Don't worry too much :lc: if you are already haunted even before starting the course, you will never like it!

Don't worry and good luck :lc:

Edited by Desy ♫

Guest Parshant DiPersia

first off, I would like to point out that you need both math HL and phy HL for engineering :lc:

Look at my subjects combination. I suggest a similar one:

English A HL

French B SL

Econs SL

Phy HL

Math HL

Chem SL

Chem HL is not easy btw

How well are you currently coping in math? Do you like math? Do you find it easy?

I am doing well in math HL and haven't found it difficult :P I love math. That's probably why I am enjoying it.

However I do know some people who are struggling in math HL and regret taking it.

It is very subjective. Objectively, I would say yeah it's challenging. But do not scare yourself! Don't worry too much :) if you are already haunted even before starting the course, you will never like it!

Don't worry and good luck :)

well, our school doesn't have HL physics :lc:

but as far as math goes, lets say, when i really practice something, and really understand it, i will excel at it.

but when i dont, i start falling behind.

and thats what happneed in grade 9 :lc:

but i'm really dedicated to math. i've read books about great scientists who had trouble with math as a child...

somehting that really sparked me was einstein. i'm studying math that einstein studied when he was 10 !

and yeah, i've been told numerous times that i have potential

and sadly, i dont think i have any

but i do know that if i dont pass HL math, i am screwed XD because the university i wanna go in requires a level 6 or 7 :lc:

but i'm hoping to get a textbook that'sd gonna stabalize things, and im planning on starting studying TODAY

i just need to know which textbook though, causes there's alot of em :)

but thanks for the feedback

Maths HL is one of the subjects that if you are naturally talented at, but don't put the effort in, you will not do well. Also goes the other way in if you put a lot of effort in but don't naturally understand it, you won't do well. But by what you say, sine you are interested in Maths and you are willing to work hard on it you should be find. Most people that say its a killer are usually people that really struggle with the concepts and and the subject as a whole at a high level, but its a personal thing. I find HL maths quite manageable and nothing like the horror stories I have heard.

And with wanting to do engineering, check with the universities you want to go to, because not all need HL physics. In fact, last week a friend informed me that if I wanted to do engineering, I still could even without physics since I have the HL maths and HL chemistry combo.

Honestly, I think you are stressing too much. Start worrying about HL math when you get to IB and are actually doing the course. However, if ninth grade math is not going the best way possible, you should review all you have studied and make you understand well what you are studying at the moment, so then you have a strong foundation in math when you actually go to IB. In math when you move forward, they expect you to understand somewhat what you studied earlier, so instead of studying what you are going to study in the future, study well now because you will definitely need your grade school knowledge in IB. I think studying and understanding the textbook you have now (I assume you have one?) from gradeschool is the best preparation.