Creek water pollutants

kiwi913

What is the best way to determine the concentration of nitrate/ phosphate ions in solution?

Our Group 4 project has to be about water, and my group decided to look at the pollutants in a creek that runs through our city. I'm trying to determine the concentrations of the nitrate and phosphate ions in a sample of the creek water. I'd like to use a spectrophotometric method, for both if possible, but they're presenting challenges. I know of the molybdenum blue test for phosphate but I'm pretty sure my school chem lab doesn't have any molybdate. I've also heard about the aquarium nitrate and phosphate test kits that you can buy in stores, but obviously I can't just go buy a kit and use that; I need to do all the chemical reactions myself. For those of you experienced in this sort of thing, do you know what the chemicals involved in these nitrate/ phosphate test kits are?

If not, do you know of any chemical reactions that will turn nitrate ions and phosphate ions in solution different colors (separately, of course) so that I can use a spectrophotometer to determine the concentration?

Thanks in advance!!