Advanced Placement International Diploma

JoeG

An AP exam, especially compared to the IB, is a joke. Proof? I took two AP exams - English literature and language and Microeconomics - in May of IB1 and got the maximum score in both. Also you should check out the UCAS Tariff equivalences between AP and IB ... a semi-realistic look at their respective values.

Edited by Daedalus

If APID = AP, then yeah, IB is definitely better. But I suppose I'm biased since my school offers both, and I chose IB :crying: The fact is, our school has 3 AP classes for each subject at both the Grade 11 and Grade 12 level, while our sole IB class is comprised of 7 (ToK) to 15 (English) students. So no matter how much I personally may know better, it seems like the majority of our school chose AP =P

I don't know why really. AP is a more difficult curriculum, and that includes the sciences. AP is also more day-to-day work, and less "fun" assignments like projects or presentations. AP is basically about speeding up to cover more curriculum (AP history starts with the Renaissance while IB here starts at French Rev.) while IB is about exploring in depth and detail the curriculum that we do cover.

I haven't taken AP exams like Daedalus though; my position that AP is a more difficult curriculum stems from what I've been told by friends in AP and by case-by-case comparisons of units that do match-up (eg. the AP and IB Bio teacher both work quite closely together, and I can see that they cover more material than we do, more often than not.) So who knows. IB is only hard when it comes to time management, as I am currently finding out.

There are lots of differences between the AP and IB classes. AP is (usually) an easier class--especially with the final exam. IB is, obviously, much harder. As well, each AP class stands on its own, whereas IB is a complete and well-rounded curriculum. I personally find the IB program to be more focused on gaining knowledge and learning than the AP classes tend to be. As well, for IB there are multiple factors in one's exam for each subject--meaning that a student has to be able to consistently perform throughout the years. My school offers a few AP classes as "pre-IB" courses (in preparation for IB). Finally, although AP credits are honored, the IB program is considered to be the most rigorous and prestigious program in the world. So, good choice on IB.

Although the APs and IBs may be in the same subject, the course material often differs quite a lot. Although I do think IB is harder, what with all the IAs and IOPs and I-whatevers they throw at you. I took AP calc ab and APUSH in my sophomore year and got 4s on both, which I guess is okay considering the calc course i was taking was a crap online course :)

If you're going to the states for college though, I would recommend APs over IBs, and if you're going to Europe definitely do IBs.