HCl and Antacid tablets

Colin

im doing a chem design lab with the reaction between hcl and antacid tablets. I put them both in a flask with a balloon on top and let the balloon fill up and then measure the cirumference of the balloon with string..

do i need a hypothesis since my independent variable is the brand of antacid tablets and my dependent is the size of a balloon that is being filled by the co2 produced? or should i just have a general hypothesis like: if the brand changes, the size of balloon will change as well.

Or should i just say as the inactive ingredients of the antacid tablets change, then the size of the balloon will change?

any help please. lol

IB labs don't require or give points for hypotheses, it's just a technical thing for your teacher if they want it. You can feel free to write one; might be useful in structuring your conclusion, but in effect you're usually writing your hypothesis (for me at least) after the experiment has been completed which makes it all a bit inane.

The hypothesis is required by the end of the writeup. It's good to start with a really strong one however so you can structure your lab procedure around it when controlling variables. If you just start doing a lab you might end up not being able to form a hypothesis because you had no structure to begin with.

It's like writing an essay with no thesis and then trying to form one that covers everything...

Copy and pasted from comment since the comment will go away eventually:

I would do more research, isolate what chemical you THINK is causing the CO2 production and then maybe find the amounts of the chemical in each of the antacid tablets. This will give you more quantitative data instead of just saying that rolaids emits more CO2 than w/e

Edited by Walter Drake