Using Sources in Sections B and D.

JoeG

I have a quick question about the use of sources in Section B and Section D.

Are we allowed to use sources we didn't cite/use in Section B (Summary of evidence) in Section D (Analysis) ?

I thought I read something about this somewhere. The question originates from the recommendation of "What you present in B, you analyze in D"

Edited by JoeGuff

Are we allowed to use sources we didn't cite/use in Section B (Summary of evidence) in Section D (Analysis) ?

I thought I read something about this somewhere. The question originates from the recommendation of "What you present in B, you analyze in D"

I don't think so, but I am basing my knowledge off of the criteria:

There is critical analysis of the evidence presented in section B, accurate referencing, and an awareness of the significance to the investigation of the sources evaluated in section C. Where appropriate, different interpretations are analysed.

But, I could be wrong... I personally, used only the sources I used in Section B. all of the example IAs I have read so far only use the ones from section B as well.

Thanks. :)

Ugh, this IA is diabolical.

honestly, I dislike it, because in my personal opinion it isn't about the knowledge we discover, it's about the organization, which I find stupid. I think we should be able to organize it as we please, as long as we show strong organization, critical thinking skills and a good analysis and conclusion... So yes, it is diabolical... Check out that Sticky I posted about the IA in History... It kinda of breaks down the whole "diabolical scheme" of the IA in my opinion...

I personally used sources that I hadn't used in B in my analysis, and my teacher (whose IA works are traditionally very strong, usually at least 50% of them receive 7s) made it seem like the usual thing to do. I mainly used new sources to expand on my evidence and put its significance in context, as well as for citing historiography. Basically, as I understand it, in B you will introduce the main thing; example from my IA, in B I introduced the basic methods of Caesar's regime, and in D I expanded it further to answer my research question more (motives for Caesar's assassination) by saying:

"His undisputed authority through gratia, won earlier and by reforms, network of clients, [---] meant that a military or political coup d'état was practically impossible. [---] This made assassination a likely option, as thus political change was more likely. "

It would, to me, seem very counterproductive to mark a candidate down for introducing new sources :)

• Like 1

I have another question; Do we include citations and the section headings (a,b,c,d,e,f) in the word-count? I'm cutting really close to the 2000 limit.

Note: I use parenthetical citations

I'm reliving the nightmare of my Extended Essay all over again! :) lol

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. :P

Edited by JoeGuff

I have another question; Do we include citations and the section headings (a,b,c,d,e,f) in the word-count? I'm cutting really close to the 2000 limit.

Note: I use parenthetical citations

I'm reliving the nightmare of my Extended Essay all over again! :blum: lol

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. :)

There's no detailed information on what's included in the History syllabus, but I don't think I included section headings in the word count personally, as they're already given to you. Citations aren't included in the word count.

Just a little tip, by the way - if you're running out of words really badly, switch to footnotes, you can stick loads of related but perhaps not as necessary information there... I had around 1200 words (embarrassingly) in the footnotes of my HI :)

My teachers hate when I use footnotes, so I try to avoid them. Thanks for the advice though.

I've been doing parenthetical for so long it's hard to break the flow, plus I don't have much experience with footnotes :)

Edited by JoeGuff