Question on Lab Reports and Practical Works

BI Duck

Hello!

So I'm currently taking both chemistry and physics in SL, and this year we have been informed about all the lab reports and stuff we have to do (stupid school); and I have already had a mental crash X_X.

We were assigned 10 hours of laboratory work, and I have already begun most of them; but I'm having troubles with some things.

-Which is the format of the lab reports? x_x

I made the classical ones you do in midschool, but I am not sure and the teachers are as lost as I am.

My second question is about the "practical" works. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY (those about the personal skills and that stuff)? The teacher assigned us one about the Factors in the combustion reaction of glucose; but I really have no idea what to write.

Please SOS X_X

First of all lab reports will gain you 24% of your ib mark. The lab report have three criteria:

1) Design

2) Data collection and processing

3) Conclusion and evalution.

your teacher can decide on which criteria, he will asses you. Anyway lab report will go for moderation, they will take a sample. They will take the best two labs for each criteria. So for example if you got in (Data collection and processing) 4,3,2,5,4, then they will take the 5 and the 4. even if your were assesed in one criterion, it doesno mean that you should not do a full lab.

The general format for the lab report is:

i) design:

- Specific Title

- Introduction (Peferable if design)

-Aim and Varibales (2marks)

- Hypotheses (Justified)

-Methodology: i) Materials ii) Procedure (It should contain how you will controll variables and how you will collect data) (4marks)

ii) Data collection and processing:

- Data collection (2 marks) (of the dependant variables)

-Data processing and analysis (2 marks)

-Presenting (Graphs and tables)

iii) conclusion and evalution;

-conclusion (2marks)

-Evalution ( 1) Sources of error: i)Systemetic ii) Random

2) Ways of improvement

*References (Must if design)

This was give by my chemistry teacher who i trust, (He is an IB examiner)

More information can be got from drake comment in http://www.ibsurviva...0806#entry90806

You can get also information from the subject guide. You can download the guide from http://www.ibsurviva...4-ib-syllabus/.