I Need Some Advice

Chrissytd

^

What you just asked is what I have been wondering for a long, long time.

Scholarships in the U.S., awards etc are all based on your GPA. Your IB grade and Diploma honestly stand for nothing unless you want college credit, or just so colleges know the rigor of your course.

So yah, GPA's are mucho important.

And I've been facing the same issue. I just plan to go through with the whole thing because if you quit now your weighted GPA will go away and you will be left with your basic GPA. SO If you had a C that was weighted as a B, then by doing I.B. partially it would go back down to a C, which just looks bad.

But then of course, most of us could be pulling high A's and B's in non-I.B. classes, but they just don't count as much when you apply for college. They would rather have a B 2.5-3.5 I.B./ AP student than a 4.0-4.5 GPA student who took level 3, College Prep , or honors classes.

So go for the long haul, most of us are in the same boat and wel'll be cheering eachother along! :yes:

If there are certain subjects that you excel at or are interested in more than others, then partial IB isn't such a bad option. For where I live, the IB curriculums are simply better than the regular ones, but if I really wasn't interested in the course then why would I care? (This is only true for Math for me, so I figured I would suck it up for one subject and go for the whole thing.)

That's from a "would I like this or not" standpoint though. In terms of Academics, it'll really depend on where you're at for post-secondary. If you have an inclination of which institution you'd like to go to, I would recommend seeing what are their requirements. London loves IB. Canada generally doesn't. Unfortunately Universities vary in terms of how much they value IB, so if your potential institution will only admit you on GPA, then slugging through IB and watching your marks slip further isn't worth it.

If there are certain subjects that you excel at or are interested in more than others, then partial IB isn't such a bad option. For where I live, the IB curriculums are simply better than the regular ones, but if I really wasn't interested in the course then why would I care? (This is only true for Math for me, so I figured I would suck it up for one subject and go for the whole thing.)

That's from a "would I like this or not" standpoint though. In terms of Academics, it'll really depend on where you're at for post-secondary. If you have an inclination of which institution you'd like to go to, I would recommend seeing what are their requirements. London loves IB. Canada generally doesn't. Unfortunately Universities vary in terms of how much they value IB, so if your potential institution will only admit you on GPA, then slugging through IB and watching your marks slip further isn't worth it.

Doesn't GPA factor into your chances of getting into your potential institution.

Doesn't GPA factor into your chances of getting into your potential institution.

Er, yes, that's what I was trying to say. Admission requirements vary from university to university. There are some that will just look at your IB marks. Others will only take your GPA. Some might take whichever's higher. Whatever. If you know where you might go, take a look at their requirements, then make your decision accordingly. If you're not sure, I can say that it seems like most North American universities will look at your GPA.

Where are you thinking of applying? I have a feeling that's why you're asking this.

If IB is the reason as to why your grades haven't been good, then maybe talk to the IB coordinator or your counselor to see if there's any way to bring them up. I understand the whole GPA thing, but I think if you can work something out, it'll be nice in the long run! I think it may be better to ask your advisers to see where you want to go, then you can figure out what you should do.

Is this you?

Spanish B SL, Chemistry HL, English A1 HL, Math Studies SL, Film HL

Really? Try to do my courses, the four of them. Your parents are paying an eye on your education and you are going for mediocre? I'm sorry to say so, but c'mon, have some guts, stick to what you've committed to. IB is not for anyone, is for people that actually care about their future. So take it or leave it, don't waste your parents money and take some responsibility, do your assingments, and get better grades.

If you plan on going to colleges that require the IB Diploma, than of course- do not quit. How important is your GPA compared to your IB grades? What will you gain and lose form only partial IB?

What do you mean by How important is your GPA compared to your IB grades?

What I mean is: do you plan on enrolling in a college that looks A LOT at your GPA? or are you planning to go to a college where the IBDP is favored over the GPA?

• 3 weeks later...

If you plan on going to colleges that require the IB Diploma, than of course- do not quit. How important is your GPA compared to your IB grades? What will you gain and lose form only partial IB?

What I mean is: do you plan on enrolling in a college that looks A LOT at your GPA? or are you planning to go to a college where the IBDP is favored over the GPA?

I guess I was under the misconception that GPA means a lot to a college even with an IBDP.

I guess I was under the misconception that GPA means a lot to a college even with an IBDP.

No it does not. For instance, UK colleges just want to se your predicted IB scores and final scores. USA college, on the other hand, look at your GPA as a main factor, although they look at your IB scores to see how rigorous your classes were and how well you did in them