Should I know the dates?

chickfilla

Hey takers of IB History!

I just wanted to how important the dates are in writing the essays on exams? I'm in SL if it makes a difference.

:(

I ask this because I'm pretty decent with reasons, background, connecting events, etc., but HOPELESS with the years, let alone the months...

Edited by chickfilla

Hey takers of IB History!

I just wanted to how important the dates are in writing the essays on exams? I'm in SL if it makes a difference.

:(

I ask this because I'm pretty decent with reasons, background, connecting events, etc., but HOPELESS with the years, let alone the months...

You need to know the main years, and if you can learn the minor ones, that's preferable. The years give your grader evidence that you comprehend the time period you are working within. But if you get to the exam and can't remember the years, don't write them. It's better not to mention them, than mess them up. But, I HIGHLY reccommend you learn the years, and specific dates (month and day) if you have many events happening within one year...

My teacher says if you know specifics that is great. But if not then just know the range of years.

Ex: If your confused whether its 1923 or 1921.. Just put in the late 1920s.

But learning them to the date of the major events is always better. But of course you dont want to give a false date, so its better to just say the period.

This is good advice, but keep in mind: if you are dealing with topics that have many dates within the same year, and are all vital, you MUST know them. For instance: the immediate causes of WWI- tones of stuff happens in 1914, in specific dates. You must know the months, because if you are trying to explain something, the months give a time line. If you do not give the months, than it is unclear which event happened first, second, third... the same applies for events over a couple year, you cannot just say "1920s" if three separate events, all needing to be connected, happened in the 1920s. You must specify- 1921- this happened; 123- this happened; June 1928- this happened; August 1928- this happened.

Therefore, you can see the vitality of knowing the specific, but as I said before- better to not put the date/year than to mess it up. So learn the specific, if you forget some on the exam than just say something like: in 1914 blablabla happened, a few months later/a couple years later blablabla happened. This will demonstrate to the grader that you know the time line and series of events, even though you didn't give dates for everything.

• Like 1

Its good to know the dates, at least the major ones. However, it might not be necessary to remember all of them exactly, as long as you're able to recognize the order and significance of the links between them. Anyway, remembering dates isn't going to get you far, therefore I recommend to learn the arguments first, at least for me the dates tend to fall in easily after I've learned the argument.

• 4 weeks later...

Try to at least remember a few of the important dates. If you don't know the year in which WWI started, then yes, you've got an issue, but if you don't need to know the year of the First Moroccan Crisis or whatever, I don't suppose that's too big an issue. Dates for specific treaties, unless they're important ones, don't really matter either.

I say this because I'm like you and don't really bother with dates. It's better to know specifics, but it's not required. It might bolster an argument you try to make in your essay though. But essentially, if you know the order, it shouldn't be too hard to place the ranges.