Section D. Analysis

JoeG

Hello everyone, I have a question about Section D. Analysis of the Internal Assessment.

How do you recommend undertaking this section? I have the information given out from IB, and a few examples, but that really isn't much help.

I know that were supposed to analyze in Section D of what we put in Section B, but how do we not reiterate too much? Would more analysis solve that problem.

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions lol, it's just that my teacher told me my analysis was bad after he read my rough draft lol.

I'll say what my history teacher says: Put it into a theoretical framework.

Compare it to social theory and interpret it. For example, in my IA dealing with the Samurai I analyzed their downfall from a Marxist perspective and then gave a few other possible interpretations for the event.

That is not a must, but I find it to be a useful way of tackling analysis.

• Like 1

This is the information my teacher gave us in a document, and it is what I used:

D - Analysis

A suggested number of words for this section is 500–650.

The analysis should include:

• the importance of the investigation in its historical context

• analysis of the evidence

• if appropriate, different interpretations.

In this section the elements of the investigation identified in section B will be broken down into key issues/points. Consideration of historical context can add weight and perspective to the study. Where appropriate (depending on the scope of the investigation) links can be made with associated events and developments to aid understanding of the historical importance of the chosen investigation.

Grading Criteria

Markband

Marks Level descriptor

0 There is no analysis.

1–2 There is some attempt at analysing the evidence presented in section B.

3–4 There is analysis of the evidence presented in section B and references are included. There may be some awareness of the significance to the investigation of the sources evaluated in section C. Where appropriate, different interpretations are considered.

5–6 There is critical analysis of the evidence presented in section B, accurate referencing, and an awareness of the significance to the investigation of the sources evaluated in section C. Where appropriate, different interpretations are analysed.

• Like 2