What to expect for HL Chemistry

rmd

I am interested in going into medicine and know that chem hl would be helpful but I don't know what to expect. I have heard that it is really hard, but it would look better when I'm applying for university. Could you please tell me what to expect and tips for doing well in the course. I'm kind of nervous as I'm going into the IB program next year.

Thanks

Not only for chemistry, but for all science subjects you should pay attention to assesment statement. A guy in germany sewed IB for bringing a question, that not required by IB. At the same time you should revise from time to time, you should practice in the case of quantitive chemistry or thermal chemistry. Do not procrastinate, study in equal intervals to ensure your understanding.

Edited by inm

Umm, have you done SL Chem? Because HL Chem is just like it...except you add numbers to everything. You get to calculate stuff instead of just knowing the concepts. You should expect math, expect to know equations and when to use them (some are in your data booklet though), you should know basic properties of compounds by just seeing them (chlorides for example, and yes this can happen on paper1).

I don't really know what else to tell you. It's difficult, commonly referred to as the 2nd or 3rd hardest class at my school (behind HL math, and tied with SL physics).

Take it though. Just do it and see how it goes.

Umm, have you done SL Chem? Because HL Chem is just like it...except you add numbers to everything. You get to calculate stuff instead of just knowing the concepts. You should expect math, expect to know equations and when to use them (some are in your data booklet though), you should know basic properties of compounds by just seeing them (chlorides for example, and yes this can happen on paper1).

I don't really know what else to tell you. It's difficult, commonly referred to as the 2nd or 3rd hardest class at my school (behind HL math, and tied with SL physics).

Take it though. Just do it and see how it goes.

No I'm still in Pre-IB and I have to start choosing my courses for next year, I'm considering taking HL bio and chem because I want to go into medicine, but i've heard that that is a hard combination. Thanks for the reply

The best tip to study for chem is to make notes for the theory part of the course under each sub - heading on your syllabus and memorise key points/definitions. But don't stop here - you must practice questions with lots of exercises. (esp in the quantitative chem chapter, redox, energetics and kinetics) Draw diagrams and flow charts (ESP for organic chem reaction pathways.)

For paper 3 (options), make sure you learn your material really well. Take biochemistry for example - there's only a limited amount of scope the examiners can cover. You'll find that questions in paper 3 to be a lot less unpredictable than that of paper 2/paper 1.

Check out the syllabus and you'll know exactly what's in the course. You should expect both theory and practical (experimental) aspects of chem to be assessed. Practical reports are internally assessed, making up 24% of your final grade. The rest is examined externally with 3 papers.

Ooo another thing- make sure you actually take the internally assessed portion seriously. Having a good internal grade really gives you the confidence before externals come by. After every experimental class, write up your practical. Seriously, JUST WRITE IT UP AND DON'T PROCRASTINATE. If you leave it until the night before the due in date, you'll forget everything. Write down data in a booklet and keep it with you. Make sure the data is not only quantitative (numbers) BUT QUALITATIVE TOO (observations).

P.S I don't think you should take chemistry just because it's going to look good on your college/uni apps.

The reason is because you have to really like chem to do well in it. :)But if you are considering a career in medicine then chem is probably inevitable. Try to love it - it is a really interesting subject and if you concentrate and really try to understand, you'll enjoy it!

HL Bio and HL Chem together is not that bad of a combo. They work together very nicely actually. Or they are for me at least. Concepts from bio can be explained by chemistry on a more detailed level and because of this connection it becomes easier to remember things. It's sort of like it's in your head twice so remembering is twice as easy :)

The best tip to study for chem is to make notes for the theory part of the course under each sub - heading on your syllabus and memorise key points/definitions. But don't stop here - you must practice questions with lots of exercises. (esp in the quantitative chem chapter, redox, energetics and kinetics) Draw diagrams and flow charts (ESP for organic chem reaction pathways.)

For paper 3 (options), make sure you learn your material really well. Take biochemistry for example - there's only a limited amount of scope the examiners can cover. You'll find that questions in paper 3 to be a lot less unpredictable than that of paper 2/paper 1.

Check out the syllabus and you'll know exactly what's in the course. You should expect both theory and practical (experimental) aspects of chem to be assessed. Practical reports are internally assessed, making up 24% of your final grade. The rest is examined externally with 3 papers.

Ooo another thing- make sure you actually take the internally assessed portion seriously. Having a good internal grade really gives you the confidence before externals come by. After every experimental class, write up your practical. Seriously, JUST WRITE IT UP AND DON'T PROCRASTINATE. If you leave it until the night before the due in date, you'll forget everything. Write down data in a booklet and keep it with you. Make sure the data is not only quantitative (numbers) BUT QUALITATIVE TOO (observations).

P.S I don't think you should take chemistry just because it's going to look good on your college/uni apps.

The reason is because you have to really like chem to do well in it. :)But if you are considering a career in medicine then chem is probably inevitable. Try to love it - it is a really interesting subject and if you concentrate and really try to understand, you'll enjoy it!

Thanks so much, your answer was helpful. Yeah for sure I wouldn't want to take courses just for reason of it looking good on university apps, I do like chem and bio and like you said i'll defintely enjoy it if i try hard to understand the material.