Germination period

Semih_Kaldirim

Hello people-i have an important question about my lab report about germination period of "Cucurbita pepo"(zucchini). I am experimenting the effect of adding organic acid(vinegar) to it and some has not germinated since i started(14 days) and i need to write its report. Should i take 14 days of germination period for the ones that didnt germinate(because i need to calculate an average day of germination,deviation,variance etc., with the explanation why i did write 14) or should i take them as 0 because they had not germinated at all?-Thank for your help :blum:

I do not really know since I am not taking Bio but if I were you I would not express it with number and say that the seed did not germinate in 14 days.

Or if you have to express it with number you should write T>>14 if it will actually germinate or if you think it will never ever germinate you should write T=∞

I don't know though I hope somebody else would give you a better answer

Germination requires the intake of water through the micropyle and it is very possible that the acid got in there too. Since diffusion and all that good stuff is sort of random it is possible that enough acid got in there (or maybe you added more? I don't know you're exact independent variable stuff) and the pH levels could've denatured the proteases and amylase that the seed creates after the gibberellin gets to the aleurone layer.

Do not throw out data and don't assume they won't germinate. Try to explain why they didn't, why it would take longer, etc. Even if the pH levels didn't denature the proteins their rates would certainly decrease because the optimum pH is no where near what the real pH level is.