Photosynthesis Design

Hinuku

I am writing a photosynthesis design - light intensity affects rate of photosynthesis, and I have no idea how to control the level of CO2 at exactly 0.5% (I figure that the experiment will take a short while so I'm not taking the 0.1% value).

Thank you for your help,

Matt

Edited by Hinuku

Keeping the plant in a closed system..? I am not too sure, though, I am not taking IB Biology (I took IGCSE Bio)

If the plant is small enough you can put it in a large test tube or something.. If you want the amount of CO2 to be constant throughout the experiment I have no idea, though. Probably putting in a snail or something like that.

Some more people may reply to this later though so you may wait for a better answer :blum:

Thanks a lot. I think I will be conducting the experiment on Elodea (I'm not too sure it is the best plan but I have no other ideas). Anyways, I really need a way to keep the CO2 at 0.5% or 0.1%, doesn't really matter. Designs don't eliminate any technology, but I haven't heard of any devices that could do the job.

Well.. I need to wait for a more precise answer, but thanks anyways :blum:

Why do you even want to keep the amount stable? The figures just have to be the same for each sample, so all you have to do is presume that when you carry out the experiment in the same time the CO2 level is the same in every bucket or wherever you want to keep elodea.

A tak wogole Mateusz to sie uczyc a nie jakies glupoty wypisywac w internecie!

Edited by buszmen

CO2 levels won't be much of a problem, unless you move your plants to some other random place. If you keep the plants in your house, classroom, whatever, the CO2 levels won't change enough for it to matter. In your design you could simply state you kept the plants in the same room to control CO2 levels as best as possible.

Also it would be almost impossible (even in a closed system) to keep it constant. The plant will use it up eventually so the CO2 levels will start dropping unless you add more into it which involves opening the system. So I agree with buszmen, just keep it constant, in the same place. Don't move the plants around.

• 2 years later...