2b creative assignment on "The Stranger"

Lambsteak

Hi I'm currently working on my WLA2 and decided to do the 2b option, the creative assignment, on the Stranger. I'm trying to capture Mersaults way of thinking/speaking and present it in a monologue (ie play form) at his beheading, but I'm struggling with finding an authentic feel to the things he'd say and how Camus would make him say them. So any ideas on what he would say, how he would say it, lexis, structure, tone, punctuation or anything relevant are welcome! Or just general ideas on how Camus writes.

This would be much appreciated!

Well, as to what he would say, I feel like he said everything that was significant to the novel in the last chapter, and I personally wouldn't add anything else because it would feel too forced. I really wouldn't bring up anything new, because he had his final epiphany in the end... so I would probably just describe the situation and if that reflects what he thought of in the final chapter, when he says the world is indifferent to him and he is indifferent to it, and that he just hopes that everybody shows their hatred. And finish it with a smashing sentence.

I guess you could take a moment to describe how everybody is looking at him, are they booing him? Are they silent as a sign of respect? Does Meursault even care? (of course not). Do the people care about what happens to him? Is Marie there?

And most importantly, what are his final thoughts upon seeing everything? Just think of one idea, and have one or two sentences in the end with what he thinks. If you say more than that on what he thinks I believe it might sound redundant.

As to how, I'd say keep it concise, to the point. Meursault (or Camus...) is not the kind of person that wastes time thinking of beautiful metaphors or useless thoughts; he's very practical in that way. Keep your sentences short, have verbs of action, make it sound honest, and don't get carried away.

And, this might be a matter of style, but I would personally make a reference to how the sun is at that moment. If you noticed, he really does describe what a nuisance the sun is in the beginning and later on in the novel, like when he kills the Arab. So I think it'd be nice if you mentioned it in that ending, maybe it still bothers him... or maybe he's completely indifferent to it, just as he is with the world.

Edited by CristinaV