Economics HL vs Economics SL

Hi guys,

How different is Economics HL from Economics SL?

Is it much harder?

Even if yes, is it easier to do Economics HL than science HL?

Thanks

From my experience, there isn't that great a different between SL and HL. One more exam paper at the end though (although it's a pretty easy paper!). I actually prefer the HL topics to the SL topics! :)

For me, it's not tooo much harder...although SL is pretty easy in my opinion. In Economics HL you just go into each chapter in more detail.

It depends which science. It's probably easier as a HL than all three sciences at HL (especially chem and phys) but it's all relative to the individual. There's probably some people who find it the opposite to what I just said.

p.s: for economics, you really need to master definitions, diagrams, and evaluation (just saying)

Economics is not so much of a subject that you have to understand, but it is an application subject so you have to apply your knowledge to cases in order to understand it. Economics also requires a lot of remembering and memorising of definitions, diagrams etc.

Many people say it is easier than science HLs, but i personally think it depends if you are a natural science/mathematics person or a social science person. I am a natural science person therefore I think chemistry HL is easier than economics HL as the economics HL has an extension module with a lot of graphs. I was never good with graphs and memorising something that I don't particularly adore is just a pain. However, if you are a social science person and memorising/application comes in easy, then economics HL is definitely the choice for you over any science HL.

Good luck!

it really depends on the person. I was taking Economics HL but switched to SL because my school offers SL as a one year course and I want a study hall next year and -1 exam to study for. I found that Economics HL and SL have a lot of the same material, it's not "harder", you just do additional material in HL than in SL. Both seem to be easy. If you can, i'd recommend HL because it's an easy HL to cover and get a good mark in. In regards to sciences, I'm taking two HL sciences (bio and chem) and I think econ is a lot like bio since you just have to memorize stuff and maybe a few concepts. However, there is less content in econ and less stuff to "memorize". But if you aren't good at memorizing things, you should still take HL because there's not much difference and it's an HL to cross out.

Also, there's not much to memorize, I'd say there's less to memorize in Economics HL than in a gr 9 or 10 history class.

I am doing Econs SL yet the HL and SL students are in a combined class, thus I got to learn the HL topics too.

Objectively, Economics is easy. HL is easy, SL is very easy. You just need to understand the concept and memorise definitions & diagrams. I love how they give us 4 marks for just drawing a diagram and explaining it! The rest is just evaluation and analysis.

I am the type who does not like memorising and prefers logic & calculation. I am doing well in the SL topics but the HL topics are just too much for my brain. I cannot take them all up. However I still do understand the HL materials although I sometimes get mixed up.

It works for me because I understand the concepts and can memorise definitions. When you understand the concept, you can talk and bull**** about it, relate it to other concepts and finally write a good essay.

The HL is slightly more difficult than SL because there are more topics, thus more definitions to memorise and more diagrams too. They are both easy, though. Don't worry.

However, some people in my class are still failing Econs. They are just too lazy and never work hard. So it depends! Quite subjective. But objectively, Econs is an easy 7. You should take HL, if you could and want.

Econs HL is of course easier than science HL! -_- but if you need a science HL for uni, then take it. You have no choice :)

• Like 1

Maybe not an 'easy' 7. I don't think such a thing exists! You will always have to work for it.

For example, math studies is considered an easy 7, yet in my class of about 17 students (maybe more) there weren't any 7s on the mocks, and only three people are predicted a 7! :0

And for our economics, there are 15 people (mainly HL) and in semester one of IB2 the grades were the following: 7 people passed, 8 people failed. So I think some people either didn't work hard enough or find economics difficult.

Just some food for thought

Edited by Matthew Sinclair