Difference between SL and HL when applying to the US/UK

We are currently offered economics only in SL. If I go through the trouble of moving and switching schools I could study HL economics. If my goal is to study business in the US/UK, is it worth it to go through the trouble? What is the difference between SL and HL when applying?

In the US, the actual subjects* of High School classes you choose really doesn't matter, it's the "difficulty" of the courses that they care about. You're in IB, so the difficulty aspect is already covered lol.

*The subjects do matter to a degree, but this shouldn't concern you if you take mainly "core" classes, things like Social Sciences ( like economics and history) Math, Sciences, etc.

Also, it really doesn't matter if you do SL or HL economics. As long as you have good grades in all of your classes, and get good marks on your IB exams, you should be fine. :)

Honestly, I would stay in your current school and study SL economics.

Edited by JoeGuff

In the US, the actual subjects* of High School classes you choose really doesn't matter, it's the "difficulty" of the courses that they care about. You're in IB, so the difficulty aspect is already covered lol.

*The subjects do matter to a degree, but this shouldn't concern you if you take mainly "core" classes, things like Social Sciences ( like economics and history) Math, Sciences, etc.

Also, it really doesn't matter if you do SL or HL economics. As long as you have good grades in all of your classes, and get good marks on your IB exams, you should be fine. :)

Honestly, I would stay in your current school and study SL economics.

Thanks for the great answer! Helped me out alot.

Wouldn't mind a second post to either confirm this or give a different kind of answer just for a better overall picture.

Well from what I've seen most Economic courses in UK require you to have Math HL and they don't really care about Economics. If you have another three subject you feel comfortable taking at HL then I wouldn't worry about it, but I think Economics is pretty easy (especially if you like it) even at HL compared to other subjects so it's a shame if you had to pick something else at HL you don't really enjoy. Do you think you could talk to your school if it was possible to take Economics at HL even in SL class? There's not much difference.

Well from what I've seen most Economic courses in UK require you to have Math HL and they don't really care about Economics. If you have another three subject you feel comfortable taking at HL then I wouldn't worry about it, but I think Economics is pretty easy (especially if you like it) even at HL compared to other subjects so it's a shame if you had to pick something else at HL you don't really enjoy. Do you think you could talk to your school if it was possible to take Economics at HL even in SL class? There's not much difference.

Sadly the schools decision is final and there are no ways to take HL. Thanks for the answer.

• 3 months later...

So, am i right in saying that if I had to do Economics in the UK in good colleges, I MUST have a Math HL? and what if I had an Eco HL and a Math SL, would I not be admitted?

So, am i right in saying that if I had to do Economics in the UK in good colleges, I MUST have a Math HL? and what if I had an Eco HL and a Math SL, would I not be admitted?

Math HL is NOT a must. Math SL students can be admitted. However Math HL is usually recommended, and may be preferred.

I guess it is a must in some universities. If you could take Math HL just try to switch. Otherwise do well in your Math SL.