Why is the melting point of Cl less than that of S

timtamboy63

Are you referring to the element (as stated in the data booklet) or the molecule?

Btw I thought Sulfur existed as S2 but anyways..

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_sulfur_have_a_higher_melting_point_than_chlorine

volatility increase across a period and so chlorine is more volatile and therefore is more of a gas than sulphur and so it needs more energy to melt

This raises another question: why does volatility increase across a period? >.<

what's the difference between an element and its molecule? are you taking chemistry standard or higher? you don't get Fe metal at room temperature without a lattice; you can't get an element which is not bonded in some way unless it doesn't bond at all (very unlikely! unless it's a noble gas..)

lol that's a ridiculous answer btw. never refer to an answer.com or yahoo answers thing especially when it's not cited.. volatility is a measure of the tendency of a substance to vaporize. vaporization is the change of state (from liquid or solid) to gas phase. melting is the change of state from solid to liquid phase. does that strike you as a little inadequate by way of explaining a chemical property ? its basically saying it has a higher melting point because it has a higher boiling point lol.

Also, sulfur exists most commonly as a solid in the form S8 ... but it has apparently more allotropes than any other substance. either way if we're talking melting points then its gas allotropes, S2 and S3, are hardly relevant ...

More seriously, the correct answer to this question would be: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+does+chlorine+have+a+lower+melting+point+than+sulfur%3F

Edited by Daedalus

Are you referring to the element (as stated in the data booklet) or the molecule?

Btw I thought Sulfur existed as S2 but anyways..

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_sulfur_have_a_higher_melting_point_than_chlorine

volatility increase across a period and so chlorine is more volatile and therefore is more of a gas than sulphur and so it needs more energy to melt

This raises another question: why does volatility increase across a period? :)

what's the difference between an element and its molecule? are you taking chemistry standard or higher? you don't get Fe metal at room temperature without a lattice; you can't get an element which is not bonded in some way unless it doesn't bond at all (very unlikely! unless it's a noble gas..)

lol that's a ridiculous answer btw. never refer to an answer.com or yahoo answers thing especially when it's not cited.. volatility is a measure of the tendency of a substance to vaporize. vaporization is the change of state (from liquid or solid) to gas phase. melting is the change of state from solid to liquid phase. does that strike you as a little inadequate by way of explaining a chemical property ? its basically saying it has a higher melting point because it has a higher boiling point lol.

Also, sulfur exists most commonly as a solid in the form S8 ... but it has apparently more allotropes than any other substance. either way if we're talking melting points then its gas allotropes, S2 and S3, are hardly relevant ...

More seriously, the correct answer to this question would be: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+does+chlorine+have+a+lower+melting+point+than+sulfur%3F

So the melting point of an element is just the same with that of its molecule? :S oh I see now. Thanks for telling. Chem SL, with a stingy teacher :| :)

Oh ok I deleted that. Hmm then would sulfur have different m.p. for different allotrope?

I'm not reading that now.. I need to finish my chem lab reportS (reports! not only a report!) and now this chem question bothers me >.< a lot...

Any quick explanation for why the m.p. of S8 is higher than that of Cl2?