Chemistry HL Papers 1 & 2

faith

I'm starting a thread again! :(

How did everyone find the papers? I found paper 1 quite hard- the indicator question got me rather confused. Paper 2 I thought was average. I made something random up for the mass spectrometer question and the bromine water question.

I found paper 1 quite manageable, though there were a few questions I was a bit unsure about. Paper 2 was strange - they didn't give the usual big stoichiometry question at the start, but I also found it okay. Not great, but not too bad. I wasn't sure about the 'hypothesis' regarding the electrochemical series (one of the later parts of the first question I think). What did you put down?

Hmm I drew something different. I said that if the standard electrode potential was greater than 0.34 (which is the standard electrode potential of copper), then the reaction wouldn't be spontaneous so the enthalpy change would be 0. And if it was less than 0.34, the enthalpy change would get bigger the bigger the difference between the electrode potential of copper and the electrode potential of the metal (I think in terms of this we had the same thing).

I did Chem SL but we also had the enthalpy question, the mass spectrometer question and the bromine-ethene question.

All of the other SL kids at my school were confused about that electrode hypothesis because in SL we never studied the electrode potentials. For section B I did a question containing hydrazine and I know a similar hydrazine was in the HL paper as well.

It seemed that there was a lot in common between the SL and HL papers, and it was worrying because the HL people said they found them hard and so what were we supposed to do as SLs... oh well .. paper 3 was good.

Bromine water is used to test for ethene functional groups.=) The question was rather obscure though. Something along the lines of draw the structure of an isomer of xx molecule, which contains a c=c bond, that does not decolourise bromine water.

@ zzzkzzz: There are a lot of overlaps between HL and SL. We just have more content and have to do an extra question in section B.

• 3 months later...

Goin' to bump this thread.

I am planning on buying a copy of the 2010 november exams from the IBO website (for practice and all), but I was wondering whether or not the 2010 november exams had other versions of the same exam - TZ0, TZ1, TZ2, etc - for people living in different timezones.

Bromine water is used to test for ethene functional groups.=) The question was rather obscure though. Something along the lines of draw the structure of an isomer of xx molecule, which contains a c=c bond, that does not decolourise bromine water.

You had to find the structure of an alkane (C-C single bonds) that has the molecular formula C4H8. I was really confused but I figured out 5 minutes before the end that I had to draw cyclobutane: 4 carbons, 8 hydrogens and no double bond!

Does anyone remember any paper 2 long answer (section B) questions from the November 2010 HL exam?

i have my mocks tmrw and it'd be really great if anyone could help!

The first one was about magnesium... I didn't take it so I don't quite remember. There was something about the Born-Haber cycle (energetics HL).

The second one was a mix of organic chemistry (nucleophilic substitution and free radical substitution)and kinetics (rate of reaction calculation). There was also a little bit of stoichiometry (deducing the empirical formula of a compound)

The third one was a mix of equilibrium (Kc calculation and application of Le Chatelier principle)and acid/base(weak acid pH calculation, weak acid/strong base titration and difference between weak and strong acid).

No idea about the last one, I didn't even look at it.

Hope this help!

I found the November paper quite easy. I hope may 2011 will be as easy as this one! *finger crossed*

• 1 month later...
Guest IBkidd

we had mock (ish) chemistry papers in hl papers 1 and 2, and people were mostly struggiling

in the multiple choice questions, because it was so factually based, so that you could only be right if you knew that precise fact exactly. And guessing is always bad....

What I found was, whenever we had such questions, I was like : Yes, I know this answer. One mark - kaccchinng! :D. So i was like, yeah the answer is definitely "M". The only problem was, that "M" was NOT given in the options :blink:

so my advice to you is, that whatever topic you read, try reading around and learn those small little extra details in your textbook! Because, it is not really the general information you need to know in the IB, because the phrasing of the questions and can be confusing and might put you off at first.

but dont let it. :hug:

:yes: