EE History - Iraqi war

Guest kostaiki

Guest kostaiki

Hey,

i think im going to write about the war in iraq and why the USA did invade afghanistan and iraq. Did anybody else write about this topic? Or at least a topic related to mine? If so, did you have enough time? How difficult was it for you? Did you like to write about this topic?

Well, it depends on which war, as the History EE criteria warns against writing about issues which are too recent--i.e. history of the last ten years. Why don't you try something in peace and conflict studies, or else another historical topic, if that can't be done?

Edited by shotaway

No no no, you do NOT want to write on the Afghan and Iraqi wars. It will not be receive very well as usually history - for IB, at least) - must have happened at least 10 years ago. Reason is that's the only way you'd have enough sources to research. Also, as the event you're writing about is still going on, views on it can still change.

Guest kostaiki

Thanks for your answers.. thats a good point to make that i should take issues which are more than 10 years ago but ive already read books on the war of iraq :P mhh thank you though i somehow have to consider this in my EE but i think i will continue writing on this war :D mabye :P

It's at least 10 years but 15 would be more preferable, according to my history teacher. It's not really about the govt archives but about the vent settling down so that you get views that aren't changing due to the developent of the events.

Really kostaiki, I STRONGLY suggest you don't write on the Iraqi war. Examiners will not look well on it and I think you risk losing a lot of marks.

Although I'm not fully knowledgeable about everything in the EE yet, I agree with previous statements saying that history within the past 10 years is probably not a fully sensible thing to write about... especially since the Iraqi war hasn't ended yet. T.T...

I think I was told before that you have to wait 2 decades before history is technically history, as then you get everything over and done with.

Do you have an assigned teacher or something for your History essay?

Have they said anything about you doing this, or has anyone who helps with the EE at your school??

I guess in the end if you think it'll get you good marks, go for it. But only if you're sure it won't hinder you in any way.

I've just been told today that I have to write my EE on history... So thanks for previous comments, I'll try and avoid war in the past 10 years. T.T

IF you're going to write about cold war or paris commune you really need to narrow your topic down. You have to be able to extensively explain and analyse with only 4000 words. I know that 4000 words may seem like much at first, but it really isn't. Also when choosing your topic try to think what kind of sources you'd be able to use etc. Using both primary and secondary sources is a good idea, and sources from different eras. Most importantly be interested about your EE topic since you'll have to do extensive reading about it. For example I have been planning with my history teacher to do my EE about social or environmental effects of the 1944 war in Lapland, Finland. For ym essay I'd be able to use very varied sources, ranging from history books to the repports and memorandums of Finnish government of that time.

• 5 months later...
Guest nziber

I'm currently writing my history EE now...it's on an NZ topic...

When picking History EE topics, here are some things you should consider:

- how easily you can get PRIMARY and secondary resources (so it's often good to go for something that has happened in or around your own country). You also need to be able to get a range of sources...so, for mine, I have sources from France and NZ - to get both sides as you have to analyse the sources you use also.

- that you will be able to develop ORIGINAL historical ideas, not just repeat ones from your sources.

- that it's AT LEAST 10 years ago...that's not just advice, I'm pretty sure it's a requirement as the topic is HISTORY.

- not too broad...I thought mine was narrow (How did NZ's stance on the nuclear issue in the 1980's affect international relations) but i had to narrow it down to trade and relations between NZ and France with regards to the Rainbow Warrior attack...and I'm still probably going to exceed word limit for this draft

- not to 'wishy washy' as my IB coordinator likes to put it. Make it something MEASURABLE. I couldn't have had 'How NZ's stance on the nuclear issues affected other countries opinions of NZ?' because you can't measure opinions...but you can write about their opinions by talking about something concrete...ie trade deals, treaties, attacks etc.

I hope this helps.