Maths SL P1

laryxle

How did everyone find the exam?

Overall, I thought that it was okay, In terms of difficulty I would say fairly similar to both of the May papers, although perhaps fractionally more difficult than TZ2 and slightly easier than TZ1.

I liked that there was lots of calculus, and that, despite having a conditional probability part, the probability question was very straightforward. Also, I liked that a lot of the questions were in the 'prove that a=b' style. And the trigonometry question was super straightforward

For me the worst part of the exam was question 7 and 8; natural logs and matrices are just annoying. I know that I did the method right but I am pretty sure that I ended with the wrong answer for 7b, but I showed heaps of working so hopefully I can still get 3/5 marks for that.

Question 8 was the worst for me, I hate vectors so much :P The weird thing was, the bit I screwed up on was 8c where you had to prove that k=1, the rest of the question I found pretty easy. So getting that totally wrong was not too bad as it was only 3 marks anyway. What did everyone get for the area of the triangle?

Everyone in my class said they found 10 to be insanely hard, but I found it pretty straightforward...the only thing was that the premise to 10b wasn't worded greatly. The thing that nearly threw me off at the end was that I had to multiply both sides of my equation by 4 to get the equation in the question, but the rest of it was good.

I am fairly confident I got above 80/90, so I hope I can get a 7 for this. I can't wait to talk about P2 :P

Paper 1 section A questions were pretty easy, except for the matrices one, I just found the expression for the determinant. Did you guys simplify that expression or left it unsimplified? Question 10 was unthinkable I just got the slope and nothing else! For the area of the triangle I got sqroot of 5. I don´t know if I´m right, but I tried to find the vector DK and so I got 2 separate and EQUAL triangles as K was the midpoint of the chord. Then I got the absolute value of each vector and found the area of one triangle and multipiled it by 2. Did someone used this method?

I left mine unsimplified I think, I had like 9e^4x-e^2x or something like that although I simplified it in part b. I think you had to let the determinant=0 because then the inverse could have no answer and solve it from there.

I got 5 for the area of the triangle...I said that point P was the midpoint of AC, so I divided the triangle into two equal triangles like you, and then I calculated the magnitude of vector AP and PD (both were square root 5 I think) to find the lengths of two sides of one of the triangles, and then used 1/2absinC to find the area, which was 5/2, then multiplied the area by two (two equal triangles) to get 5.

• 2 months later...