Biology SL Papers I, II & III (Nov 2010, TZ0)

slvch

Hey people,

Didn't you think that this year's papers (specially paper 2) were somewhat too focused on data analysis? For example, paper 2 was 1/3 graphs that regarded GMFs, 1/3 some superficial stuff on cells and 1/3 the usual section B.

Paper 3 (esp. options A & B) was also really focused on data analysis; the options were half data-analysis and half questions on very specific topics (eg. option B asked about appetite center, which practically never appeared; option A asked about food miles, which are also an unusual topic for this paper).

Good luck y'all

Hey i reckon paper 1 was abit hard, but paper 2 was amazing ! It was really straight forward and simple and paper 3 was decent, however there would be some aspects like transient polymophism that we hadn't of even learnt in class which was quite unfair. But hopefully i got a 6-7 for that :P

LOL thanks but i think I did ok overall, however getting the right answers does not mean that the test was easy....

on paper 1 there was this question that said a the cell of a gorilla had 48 chromosome just before dividing by meiosis and asked the number of chromosome in the resultant cells... did you divide it by half of by 4???

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak

LOL thanks but i think I did ok overall, however getting the right answers does not mean that the test was easy....

on paper 1 there was this question that said a the cell of a gorilla had 48 chromosome just before dividing by meiosis and asked the number of chromosome in the resultant cells... did you divide it by half of by 4???

I'm not SL, so I didn't do the question, but I'd say divide by two. Like humans have 46 and then the gametes have 23 don't they? So it should be 48 becomes 24??

Don't worry if you put the wrong answer, just focus on what you did correctly and you're other exams =) I know a few wrong in paper 1 (and of course the other papers) and I am still hoping for a good mark :P

Hey people,

Didn't you think that this year's papers (specially paper 2) were somewhat too focused on data analysis? For example, paper 2 was 1/3 graphs that regarded GMFs, 1/3 some superficial stuff on cells and 1/3 the usual section B.

Paper 3 (esp. options A & B) was also really focused on data analysis; the options were half data-analysis and half questions on very specific topics (eg. option B asked about appetite center, which practically never appeared; option A asked about food miles, which are also an unusual topic for this paper).

Good luck y'all

yeah man! totally agreeing with you ):

people say november papers are harder than the mays ...

dont you guys reckon they focus too much on SL stuff? there were no kidneys... not much immune system.. antibody productions etc..

and the diagram that we have to label for the flower? it was b& w.. :P

Like said before, one question doesn't matter, don't worry too much. But just for your own benefit:

Number of chromosomes are halved during meiosis. This is because during Meiosis 1 (which is almost the same as mitosis), chromosome are replicated, so they become 96 chromosomes. During Meiosis 2, the 96 chromosomes are divided by 4, so you will have 24. :P

If you ever came across this question, just think, 48 divide by 4..gives 12. So each gamete has 12 chromosomes, a full cell after fertilization would have 24 chromosomes. Whereas you were told that a cell has 48 chromosomes. :)

Once again, it doesn't matter! It's just one question, I am sure you did good on the others. :P

I was really disappointed for paper 2. Pardon my language but I practically studied my ass off for paper 2, and in the end it turned out to be mainly data response. WHICH WAS HARD!!

Paper 3, data response also ridiculously difficult. WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO US????I found paper 1 okay. Section B of Paper 2 was fine.

Ok thx I just had the doubt. However I beleve the number of chromosomes are double during interphase not meiosis 1, which would mean the ones creating the question made a mistake if the right answer was by half because they said the bhromosome was JUST about to enter meiosis... hmm...one question is not important anyway just wanted to see what people thought. :P