History EE - Japanese alliance with Axis power

uchow10

Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of gathering information together to write my EE. So far I've decided to focus on Japan and my question is: What influenced/events led to Japan's alliance with the Axis Powers in WWII?

I know this question is a bit vague and broad...my teacher advised me to focus on 1 or 2 specific events....but I will come up with something as I go. However, for now I'm just wondering if this is a good topic. And is my question a valid one?

Thank you

Edited by uchow10

Guest iber2468

It's a good start. But you haven't come up with an analytical-type question. "What influenced" seems like a list type doesn't it?

You should try "To what extent did event 1 and event 2 influence Japan's alliance with the Axis Powers in WWII?" or "How did the social/econ/political (pick one) circumstance of Japan in the 1930s-40s influence its alliance?"

Guest theloserwins
Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of gathering information together to write my EE. So far I've decided to focus on Japan and my question is: What influenced/events led to Japan's alliance with the Axis Powers in WWII?

I know this question is a bit vague and broad...my teacher advised me to focus on 1 or 2 specific events....but I will come up with something as I go. However, for now I'm just wondering if this is a good topic. And is my question a valid one?

Thank you

I'm not good at English so...

I guess you will write about:

Japs - they hate Chinese, and I think you must mention the political system that runs in Japan. This means: why Japs always obey what their Emperor's words. Then you might talk about the Emperor?

German - Talk about the establishment of the Nazis, something about Hitler and the Jews

Not sure if this helps, but this is what I kno

It's a good start. But you haven't come up with an analytical-type question. "What influenced" seems like a list type doesn't it?

You should try "To what extent did event 1 and event 2 influence Japan's alliance with the Axis Powers in WWII?" or "How did the social/econ/political (pick one) circumstance of Japan in the 1930s-40s influence its alliance?"

Yes I agree with you, it does seem a bit like a list type question. My supervisor has given me some ideas into forming a better analytical question. ie. How did past resentment of the US led to Japan's decision to enter WWII as part of the Axis Powers?

Again this question doesnt seem to be perfect yet but as for now I will continue my essay and research. Hope i can phrase it better...

I'm not good at English so...

I guess you will write about:

Japs - they hate Chinese, and I think you must mention the political system that runs in Japan. This means: why Japs always obey what their Emperor's words. Then you might talk about the Emperor?

German - Talk about the establishment of the Nazis, something about Hitler and the Jews

Not sure if this helps, but this is what I kno

I am extremely grateful for your response, but in fact the focus of my essay will be on Japan so I wont talk much about the establishment of the Nazis. However, I will heed your advice on talking about the emperor and the political/economic agenda of Japan.

Again thank you both for your assistances. :)

• 2 weeks later...

You might also want to think if you want to focus more on the earlier development of Japan for example talking about their political development in 1930s. Or then you might want to talk about more immediate effects, for example in 1941 the Nazis seemed unbeatable, and Japanese had various gambles going on in their region. Note that I haven't really studied Japan that carefully, but there you have some ideas on the directions you might want to take your essay into. Personally I think that the Manchurian crisis might be an interesting event to study, but that might not fit so well into what you intend to do.

• 1 month later...

I have finally finished writing my Extended Essay and now I am in the midst of organizing the format of the paper. One question that I have is that since I am doing a history EE, what are the subject specific criterion? My teacher does not know either and from the sample it seems that we also have to evaluate our sources? If someone knows please enlighten me....Thanks

Not sure your reply helps any, Joel. :P

I have finally finished writing my Extended Essay and now I am in the midst of organizing the format of the paper. One question that I have is that since I am doing a history EE, what are the subject specific criterion? My teacher does not know either and from the sample it seems that we also have to evaluate our sources? If someone knows please enlighten me....Thanks

Yes!

History is all about sources so....you might want to look over your essay and make sure you evaluate at least 2.