First Psychology test - Sociocultural level of analysis: Attribition Errors

Mar Le Devine

Hello, i will have my first test from Psychology, i'm taking standard level, although higher level class takes the same test. It's my first one so i want to make a good impression on the teacher so i i would be glad for 6 or even 7, i missed about a month of work but i caught up pretty quickly so i believe i can do well in the test :)

i don't know if anyone is familiar with this model of question, as our teacher told us that the model is new in IB (or maybe not), so here it goes, the main and only question is:

Discuss two attribution errors (for example Fundamental attribution error and Self-Serving Bias)

The question should be answered with these criteria and the whole question has a maximum score of 22 marks

KC - Knowledge + Comprehension : 9 marks

CT - Critical Thinking: 9 marks

O - Organization: 4 marks

I've made some notes on how the essay should look, so here is a little "essay plan" for the answer

- Identify errors

- Compare the errors (Pros and cons)

- Support the errors with research (Pros and cons research). Especially focus on culture/method

I know it might be an easy test (or maybe not) but i really want to score good on this, any ideas are welcome, thank you :) btw i'm using John Crane's Book Psychology: course companion, only me and one other person has this book so i feel i might have an advantage on this test, but who knows...

I think you have a pretty good idea about what the essay question demands. You'll want to briefly define and explain the errors, go on to the research on the attribution error and evaluate them as you said. Spend as much of the essay as you can analysing and evaluating the theories and research. As you mention the focus on culture and methodology is very important and where possible use other studies to evaluate previous studies.

Crane has good sections on the attribution error stuff so that's a great place to start. Good luck on the test.