Tsokos's book Worked Solution?

IB-Adam

Hi guys!

I find the new Physics book by Tsokos to be pretty easy if you just read the explanations, but the last questions of each chapters are much harder than the explanations.

The problem is that in our Physics class we don't really study through the book, even though the things we do is related to the IB course. Instead our teacher gives us problems from the overhead to solve and in the middle of the lesson he has a lecture.

But I really want to do the questions, which means that I have to work on my own....

So the main problem is, if you don't understand how to solve a problem, where can you get the step by step instructions which will get you to the answer?

Is there a "Worked Solutions" book?

// Adam, Sweden :)

• Like 1

I am not sure if there is the solution set, although the final answers are at the back of the book. I am using the same textbook and find some of the questions are hard, too. Try talking to your teacher, ask him to go through the textbook qns if possible. Maybe some of them, though, not everything. If he does not want to do so, you must try to do the qns by yourself. And if you cannot do some qn, see your teacher and ask him how to do it. This might be the best solution, because it would be rather easy if he could orally explain it to you. Well, compared to me sending the solutions to you; you might still wonder why it is like this or why I am using this formula, it does not make sense, etc. I do not always bring the book home anyway. Asking your seniors would be good too, if they have the same textbook.

Tsokos is terrible, it barely covers the syllabus dot points. I suggest acquiring another book and at least using it in conjunction with Tsokos. The textbook questions are really only there to give you a feel for the topic conceptually, if you want to solidify your knowledge do past paper questions. But that's just judging from my experiences.

Tsokos is terrible, it barely covers the syllabus dot points. I suggest acquiring another book and at least using it in conjunction with Tsokos. The textbook questions are really only there to give you a feel for the topic conceptually, if you want to solidify your knowledge do past paper questions. But that's just judging from my experiences.

Yeah, I would agree that the book isn't that sufficient.

Many answers of the questions are wrong which makes it even more time consuming...

I think the author has released the book too quickly and been trying to make profit...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worked solutions are on Dr. Tsokos's website:

katsokos.com --> Physics for the IB diploma --> chapter solutions

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that.

As for the rest, I actually think Tsokos' explantions are excellent, though you need time to read through and soak all of it in. He goes into much detail, and through him, my understanding of the basic concepts has increased tremendously.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Tsokos goes into a lot of detail and he gives quite a thorough explanation on the topics he covers. However, many of his problems and explanations of things are highly mathematical and really complicates the things we are supposed to learn. But I think the biggest problem is that he just does not cover all the aspects of the syllabus (check syllabus for 12.2 and 12.3 and compare with the book). I have HL chemistry as well and the book we use (by John Green) goes methodically through all the points in the syllabus and they are mentioned in the text as well. I think that is the way the physics book should be done as well - the syllabus details should be kept along the text to make sure everything is covered. Of course it needs some extra explanations because the IB syllabus is definitely not all comprehensive, but that is what we will be asked in the exams so we need to know the stuff.

So people, check the syllabus when reading through the chapters to know what to expect in the exams!

I'll be waiting for the perfect physics book..

I have this book as well, and I've also found the questions to be much more difficult than the explanations suggest.I find that I have to spend a great deal of time visualizing the situation in the question to come up with facts that help to solve the question. Sometimes I don't understand the question and find that the answer is based on certain assumptions that were not made quite clear in the explanations.

I take it then that I don't have to worry about not being able to solve some of the questions?

Also where can I get the syllabus? My teacher doesn't have it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My teacher told us , that they bring a question with 25 marks exactly from the Tiskos book is that right ?

they who? you mean the IB? I doubt so. usually it's the other way around :P but I don't think this book has questions with 25 marks in the first place. most are short questions. if they're divided into parts, it's just a few and the total mark per question won't go beyond 10 marks.

• Like 1