World Religions Discipline!?

Ashta

I've written my Extended Essay on World Religions, and I'd really like to make sure I haven't offended anyone.

I couldn't find the "discipline of World Religions" anywhere, and I'l really appreciate the help!

Thank you so much~

You might have to be a little more clear -- what do you mean by "finding" the discipline of world religions? As in are you wondering whether it's an official IB subject (it's not!) orrr... well, what else? :)

I'm pretty sure it would be clear to someone who is taking or has taken a course in World Religions.

Under the Extended Essay Guide regarding writing on World Religions, it says to ensure that you "understand the discipline of World Religions", especially those who haven't taken the class, if you are planning on writing a World Religions Extended Essay. It said that you should know this to make sure you don't offend anyone with your writing.

So, are you saying that there isn't even a World Religions IB course? Whoever wrote the Guide must be an idiot then.

I wrote mine in World Religions too!!! :) Unfortunately, they don't offer the class at our school, but I love to study the Bible, so I wrote mine about Old Testament allusions in John 1:1-18. Anyway, I think what the guide is saying is:

1. Make sure your essay isn't trying to convert anyone or say why a certain religion is right or wrong.

2. Focus on relgious issues, not things that are only kinda related, like evolution vs. creationism or school prayer

3. Make sure your essay doesn't get preachy or sermonizing, that you aren't telling anyone what to do

4. Don't judge whether a religion is true, like, whether Jesus is the Son of God or something like that.

Also, if you google "50 Excellent Extended Essays", you'll find two written in World Religions. One of them basically says Christians need to modify their idea of absolute truth so they can embrace other faiths. To me, that's a sermon, just in a lberal direction, because it's telling people what to do instead of analyzing a religion. The other uses Ann Coulter as a source and basically says Christians need to expand themselves to liberal politics. I don't think either of these follows IB's own guidelines!!! I religiously (ha-ha) follow the guidelines in the EE guide, while keeping in the back of my brain that IB in general has that secular slant and I have to be careful to be as academically flawless as possible, more so than in an obviously secular history essay or something.

But take my words with a grain of salt. I'm the first person in my school to do a religion essay and all I know about IB's requirements comes from that guide and the web. But enough about me. What's your topic?

Whoa~ So helpful!

Thank you! =D

I wrote mine on the Dependence of Christianity on Orwellian Doublethink. I loved writing it, and there was so much to work with!

I'm a little worried about offending people, but I definitely stayed objective throughout.

Edited by Ashta