Help with Musical Investigation

zurichboy

I started researching possible cultures to compare a few weeks ago, and this wednesday I have to tell my teacher what cultures and songs I'm going to compare. I was thinking Hip-Hop and traditional Calypso but my teacher said its very risky, as they derive from the same root. What cultures could I do? People who are currently working on their MI or have finished it, could you please post which cultures you are comparing and what the similarity is. Any other suggestions to a culture i could compare Hip-Hop or Calypso to is also appreciated. Many thanks guys...really need your help on this one.

Zurichboy

I'm not even taking IB music, since my school doesn't offer it...

But I can think of trying to compare the extent of the influence of Blues in Hip Hop and Heavy Metal. Sounds at least like an interesting topic anyway.

Ok, fine, it's the fact I'm a Metalhead that influences this suggestion, but it's not a bad idea. You could also try the same idea of the extent of the influence of Blues in Hip Hop and Calypso.

Edited by qliphoth93

• 1 year later...

Blues and Hip Hop is too similar as they are from the same musical culture. Try something from two seperate cultures such as Gamalan and Western Art. One of the most common topics is Gamalan music and Debussy. I suggest viewing some of the sample MLI's and going from there (: