Help choosing subjects...

khalid

Hey.. im currently in the process of choosing my IB Subjects.. I dunno if i should take english A1 Higher or A1 Standard, my current average in IGCSE English is a B. I also dont know if I should take Arabic A1 or A2, Does anyone have any ideas ? .. Im planning on taking Business HL, is it true that getting a 7 in that is nearly impossible ? ... Thank you very much :)

Oh, someone else from Oman! :P:)

My opinion? Do like many people did..

Arabic A1 SL

English A2 HL

My IGCSE grade in english was a B too..and I managed to get a 6 in HL, which is good. :)

I am assuming you are not horrible at arabic, in which case I see Arabic A1 SL is right for you.

Business HL, I have friends who did it, and if I remember correctly, one of them got a 7 in business HL. However it is very hard apparently and you need to be really good at it. Did you take business in IGCSE?

In my opinion take English HL... it helps you so much more for preparing for the exams and commentaries.

Also, you have more book choices, so if you don't understand the SL books, the HL ones might just save you...

That's just my opinion. Good luck with choosing! :)

• 5 months later...

I don't know about your arabic, but I think taking A1 Arabic is probably the right choice for you. This article here explains why taking A1 on your own language would probably be better than taking A1 English: http://blog.ibcram.com/2011/04/11/choosing-your-ib-subjects-i/

I also think that Business is a very hard subject since you either go in the right direction or you don't in exams. Once you start to move away from the question you get very very bad marks - or at least that's what I've heard.

Guest Soiboist

Isn't the syllabus changing for next year? As in there isn't going to be A1 and A2, but instead there's a pure literature class, and a literature & language class?

Yes, that's true. However the syllabus is only changing for Language and Literature, Literature is exactly the same as the former A1 course.

Guest Soiboist

I feel sorry for the next year's language syllabus. Seems so much harder than what we did this year XD "Here's a picture, talk!"

What do you mean? From what I know the syllabus hasn't even been released yet. :(

Isn't the syllabus changing for next year? As in there isn't going to be A1 and A2, but instead there's a pure literature class, and a literature & language class?

Yes, that's true. However the syllabus is only changing for Language and Literature, Literature is exactly the same as the former A1 course.

Yeah, but the OP was talking about choosing A1 versus A2. Since there isn't going to be A1 and A2 next year, but Lit and Lit&Lang, I thought I'd point that out.

Guest Soiboist

I think it's too late to answer OP's question. They have probably started the IB program and need no more advice.

Literature is exactly the same as the former A1 course.

Are you sure? I heard from my teacher that the assessments are slightly different.

Not sure about the assessments, but the content of the course should be the same according to my A1 teacher.