Handwriting Tip! For your exams

Argiyama

This might be an issue that people didn't pay much attention to it. Personally I have this pain for three years, oh yea 9 MYP exams in 3 days...a pain in the bum. Each paper have to write about 3 pages short answers followed by two pages essay question. Last year, i screwed up on my last exam (English) after I finished 9 pages sciences and 6 pages Thai writing because I can't hold up the pen anymore. I can't finish the short answer because my writing slowed down; half of normal pace because of the pain in my wrist. Here it is, I found this tip is quite useful to prepare you for IB exams (of course, even more painful than MYP) Apart from this, try practice writing essays (questions from past papers). At least I found this help :crying:

Be aware of your posture and sitting position when you write. Your body position affects the way you use your arm and hand. Here are some hints to follow when writing:

- Avoid leaning heavily on your forearm.

- Keep your elbow positioned in an open angle (90 degrees or more). Wrist and hand strain increases the more your elbow bends.

- Keep your fingers relaxed. Your knuckles should not be curled up or turn white when you write.

- Reduce finger motions. Use your wrist and forearm to move the pen or pencil rather than your fingers.

- Re-orient your writing paper or use an inclined surface to keep your wrist relaxed, especially for left-handed writing.

- If writing hurts your thumb, try holding the pen in the web space between your index and middle fingers.

- Handwrite rather than print. Large, cursive style writing causes less strain than printing small letters.

- Select large diameter pens and pencils or use rubber grips to reduce gripping force.

- Place Leaf-It-Finger dots or grips on fingers to increase friction. Tape or tubing can be applied to pens and pencils to increase surface friction.

- Replace standard ballpoint pens with easy flow ink fountain pens, roller balls, and gel ink pens.

- Write at a reasonable pace with frequent breaks.

Credit: http://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu

More information at "http://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu/articles/handwriting.pdf"

Edited by Argiyama

Uh oh, all the test weeks has indeed taught me to the pains of it as well. I feel so bad for my dear hand afterwards. I also have a habit of leaning too close to the paper when I am very into my writing as my friends always complain about it being too bad for my back and when I write, I usually write a lot, often making it AT LEAST 8 pages :/ One thing that annoys me though is the tiny rule that when you cross out something, you may only draw one straight line. I don't think about that when I write! I just scribble over the text then :P

But thank you sooooooooo much for the tips :(

- Handwrite rather than print. Large, cursive style writing causes less strain than printing small letters.

Didn't know that...should start practising then! :crying:

Edited by Afterglow

Guest iber2468

Oh my god... listening to Argiyama... that's terrifying.

I guess my history teacher wasn't joking when he said, "By the end of Paper 3 you will not be able to find your hand!"

I have a problem when my shoulders because so adjusted to that writing position that when I try to move I can't... Because I have my forearms on the desk and that kinda lifts my shoulders? Does anyone else have that problem?

How can you make it go away? Because it aches really bad after a while and concentrating with the pain is real hard.

Oh my god... listening to Argiyama... that's terrifying.

I guess my history teacher wasn't joking when he said, "By the end of Paper 3 you will not be able to find your hand!"

Hahahaha, well i assure you that he wasn't kidding! Yet if you prepare, that will be a piece of cake :crying: at least now I found myself having a stronger hand going through all those MYP exams LOL

If a new IB curriculum has to change something, definitely a schedule of exam...I see how tight it is...and it looks so intense to me because that is quite a lot worse than MYP. My friends are going through around 14 papers in 2 weeks ~ some of them even took drug (like tylinal) to reduce the pain. It's really harsh so it's quite an alarmed issue right now in my school.

Edited by Argiyama

• 2 weeks later...