Physic labs

ezex

Hey guys, I just had a question that's been bugging me since the first day our physics teacher open the class. It's my first IB science and the first IB Physics in our school, so I don't really have much reference. Now is it normal for the teacher to make us right up about 2 full IB lab reports a week? The thing is that he does a lab every time we learn something new, which is pretty much every other day, and he says that he wants us to do a lot of labs so he has a lot to choose from when he sends them over to the IB headquarters. But it's ALOT of work! I was just wondering if it's like that in all Physics classes, HL and SL.

Feel free to give details :crying:

Oh, another thing. Is there a group 4 for physics? I'm pretty sure most of my chem and bio friends started theirs already but our teacher hasn't even mentioned it yet.

Edited by Deus

Guest benj_israel

Your teacher sounds a bit insane... :crying:

We usually do maybe 3-4 labs per term, and like said above you aren't just given the group 4 project, there'll be a huge kafuffle and you'll get a presentation and whatnot on what you need to do. My advice: don't be like me and put off the group4 project haha, it'll pile up near the due date :/

Guest iber2468

^ Kafuffle, that's a good word, I shall use it.

One of these days Elsa and Hien are gonna ban me to ib hell for going off topic :bawling:

Group 4 was no stress for us, our teachers didnt care.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I just had a question that's been bugging me since the first day our physics teacher open the class. It's my first IB science and the first IB Physics in our school, so I don't really have much reference. Now is it normal for the teacher to make us right up about 2 full IB lab reports a week? The thing is that he does a lab every time we learn something new, which is pretty much every other day, and he says that he wants us to do a lot of labs so he has a lot to choose from when he sends them over to the IB headquarters. But it's ALOT of work! I was just wondering if it's like that in all Physics classes, HL and SL.

Feel free to give details :P

Oh, another thing. Is there a group 4 for physics? I'm pretty sure most of my chem and bio friends started theirs already but our teacher hasn't even mentioned it yet.

We have been doing an experiment and submit a lab report for it WEEKLY for the past two weeks (in physics), but the key word here is whether full or not, i mean we had about 10 formal (full) lab reports and the others started from planning (B), and others started from data collection to evaluatiom... some labs even had data processing ONLY... last week i submitted lab report number 40 to my physics teacher and i missed about 5 experiments (i.e i did not submit a lab report for them) and in the next semester we are doing another 10 more.... so what you doing is ok i guess....

of course there is a group 4 for physics, there is one for every science

Edited by Aboud

• 3 weeks later...

We do an experiment each week and are meant to submit a full report each week, though we never really seem to hand them in..

And in our first year, we went on a trip to do the group 4 project, i think we still haven't submitted a final draft but basically, it's all done. Some schools do it in the first year, some wait till the second, doesn't really make that much of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Spicyramen

Wow you guys do a lot, 3 per semester?

We get like 4 for the whole year,

it's usually the easier ones like Forces, torque, Hooke's Law and some others.

And do they ask about labs in the Ap Physics exam?

Cuz I know they don't do it in the Ap Bio exam.

I took SL physics, and we did labs every week, but they were not full reports, we only did around 5 of those all year. As for group 4, we had to do ours with a physicist, a chemist, and biologist, and that was for our Biology HL class.

In both chemistry and physics we have to do lab reports weekly. Our biology teacher is a little more lax but we still do around two a month.

AFIK The AP physics exam has alot of graphing but not much relating to lab reports, but I did receive a practice ap exam question from an older test that asked to set up an experiment. Maybe they've just gotten lazier, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place for past exams.

my teacher gives us labs each week, on Wednesdays, he gives us the instruction of the lab on Monday and then we have to search for the lab if its a design or just look at it if its data processing and collection lab, but generally its good to have one lab each week so not to put alot of pressure on the student, cause theres lot more things to do beside doing lab reports (there is ITGS PROJECTS, world lit, and CHEMISTRY LAB REPORTS AS WELL )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My teacher for physics is rather lax and its difficult for us too do many labs because our school schedule sometimes only lets us see our physics teacher once a week. But in our first year we completed about 14-15 labs. next year we will have a lot more though.