Empirical studies in the Humanistic Perspective

laryxle

In the other three perspectives there are many empirical studies which can be used in exam responses and in most exams at least one question will ask something requiring a study. However, I have never seen a question like this for the humanistic perspective (this is for the old syllabus btw) and my teache said he went through a lot of past papers and markschemes and didn't find one question that required studies from the perspective.

Also, I don't really have any studies to support anything from the perspective anyway, which is probably the reason why they don't ask for them. I was just wondering though if you do in fact need to have empirical studies from the humanistic perspective for the exams?

• 1 month later...

The May 2010 paper's 8 mark humanistic question was

"Describe one research study from the humanistic perspective."

We did it for trials and it shocked my whole class, none of us knew any!

So yes, you may need to know one.

There is one by Aronoff (1967) about cane cutters and fishermen you could look up if you need one.

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty much just Rogers and Maslow plus the studies the above person posted which I haven't yet looked at.

I reckon you could almost use Maslow as a study because of who he based his theories off of, like Einstein etc. It's almost a case study...but not really.

My teacher really abhors Humanistic psych, and I can see why...

Edit, come to think of it, that one's in our powerpoint from class :P something to do with the Fishermen having satisfied their deficiency needs and thus they feel safe enough to have a risky/hard job?

Edited by Matthew Sinclair

It's actually a pretty good one to use - it's simple and easy to explain

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=l8j_z5-qZfAC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=Aronoff+(1967)+fishermen+cane+cutters&source=bl&ots=iBvaxVvER4&sig=KkxrHHjXGNUl_3_wq4km96N6u7c&hl=en&ei=vUffTJydK4jCvQOp1M22Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Aronoff%20(1967)%20fishermen%20cane%20cutters&f=false

Hmm, just reading over that link - it has about 3 studies you can use on that page and there's some great (ish) evaluation of Maslow's theory of motivation on the next page! :P

Edited by Matthew Sinclair