Physics or Biology?

Barphagus

Hi

My plan is to get into a medical school preferably one in the US but I have a little dilemma. The problem is that the Universities requires at least a year with each of the science subjects but I can only choose two. I've already picked chemistry but i am stuck between Physics and Biology. Would be great with someone else's opinion. Thanks

Yeah if you want to get into a med school, you will need to study bio more than physics. What did you take last year? I mean, what kind of exam? And which sciences did you do? If you have done physics last year, go for biology (because now it means you have done phy for at least 1 yr and you will be doing bio and chem for 2 yr). But if you have done only bio last year, dont do phy for IB. Or maybe if you have done only chem last year, go for both phy and bio now. Its not too late to start studying a new subject. And I think you might have looked at the wrong requirement? Is that for IB diploma holders? They should know that you cant do all the 3 sciences in IB unless you're a nerd. And you cant do phy in IB1 and then change subject to bio in IB2 right? Oh another suggestion would be for you to do the two strongest subjects, and for the other science, just take a lesson or something like that for 1 year.

If you have an idea of a couple of uni's you may want to go to find out what they want exactly. Different unis want different things. For example, here in Australia, the uni I want to go to requires chemistry but prefers you do physics as well. Just do research and decide what is best for your situation. And too be honest if they have a problem with you only doing 2 sciences, hopefully your IB diploma should bypass this.

You don't need Physics for med school. Biology and Chemistry are mandatory but Physics is just optional. I took HL Bio and Chem and SL Math, its good enough for med school.

But i did do Physics in years 10 and 11 ...

The subjects which are mandatory for Medical School differ between different places, so it's difficult to say that you definitely do or don't need something.

In my experience I would say that Chemistry is the one MOST people insist on and Biology always a good bet -- but as for what is definitely compulsory, that's research you'll have to do for yourself as it's location specific.