Studies or standard?

Natalie Marie

I'm in second year IB and want to do psychology at Cardiff in the UK. For those who dont know, its a pretty highly rated University for psychology... I started off the IB in Higher maths. That lasted about a month. Then I moved to standard. After doing pretty diabolically in my first year exam (3) and even worse in my retake (2) I've been told it would be recommended that I move to studies. The entry requirements on UCAS don't actually specify a particular level for maths, only saying that I need to get 18 in highers and have at least one science at higher - which is do-able. I'm just wondering if by dropping to studies my chances will be higher at getting in (due to inevitable raise in points) lower (due to drop in level) or about the same... Any input would be great as I have to know by next week and I'm in a right muddle. Another thing is that by dropping the pressure from maths I would have a chance to spend time on other subjects (for example chemistry - which could be better) but I dont want to do this if it will compromise my acceptablitity at university - particularly cardiff.

I would say that it depends on your current subjects combination. if you are taking physics or chemistry (or maybe both) I think you should take math SL. especially if one of them is at higher level. otherwise you might better drop to studies as psychology doesnt need a lot of math (I think?) and you would have less burden.however if you drop to studies, I think that it would not make sense because you used to be in math HL (altho its only for a month). and you said UCAS is a highly rated uni, so they might prefer math SL students to math studies students. think about it. talk to your parens&teachers&seniors. they should give good suggestions and you might want to study harder to go to the uni that you want :S

Your best bet is to stick with Math SL to be honest. You'll be doing lots of statistics in uni so you better get the practice in now especially if it's something you find particularly challenging. That said, the focus of stats in psychology is very pragmatic, e.g. when to use which statistical test.

Another note, consider other universities. I remember checking out Cardiff and wanting to go there but as I did more and more research I had even more choices.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should stick to Maths SL. In my opinion, you should challenge yourself as Studies is probably too easy for anyone. I would also suggest you research for the requirements of the universities that you are interested. After all, it is IB that wants us to be good at everything so good luck in SL.!