Musical Investigation Topic

Lynsey

Hello,

We are starting to discuss our musical investigation papers in class, and I am looking for feedback on my idea. This is only my teacher's second or third year so she isn't super familiar what does and does not work. I am thinking about comparing Finnish folk music and modern Finnish popular music. My teacher said that that is most likely okay but that I should do some research. That's all I have so far on the topic, but I'd like to get the two musical cultures down before I get too far into it.

Thanks for your feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We are starting to discuss our musical investigation papers in class, and I am looking for feedback on my idea. This is only my teacher's second or third year so she isn't super familiar what does and does not work. I am thinking about comparing Finnish folk music and modern Finnish popular music. My teacher said that that is most likely okay but that I should do some research. That's all I have so far on the topic, but I'd like to get the two musical cultures down before I get too far into it.

Thanks for your feedback!

I've just started the IB this year and im looking around for some ideas about what topics I should do for my music investigation. I recall someone saying something along the lines of, "If they speak the same language they are probably not diverse enough" during my research. With the investigation you need to look a music from two different cultures and find the simmilarities and differences between them. (Or so I undersatnd at least.) You may need to be a little more creative. :sadnod:

I wish you luck with your investigation. I hope I come up with some ideas for myself soon. I don't care much what I do, I just want to do something straight forward. ^^

• 6 months later...

I didn't think that my teacher was very informative either... but it turns out that she has LOTS of information! Go and ask your teacher for some help. They SHOULD be able to provide their students with the necessary information...

Also, it might be a good idea to brainstorm with your teacher, they DID major (or minor-- but highly doubt it) in music, so they should have the knowledge to help you out! :D But, if all else fails, you can always ask us at IBS for some push as well :)

Good luck! :D

(Music SL)

• 9 months later...

Finnish music and modern Finnish music fall under the same musical culture, so it's probably not a good idea. Instead try to find something from two different musical cultures like Gamalan and Debussy, although I don't suggest this one as it has been done again and again.