How far back are we allowed to go?

AGBellamy

Hi.

Sorry if there's already a post about this- I did a quick scan of the forum and couldn't see anything, but if there is then lock this thread or delete it.

I'm going to do the first war of Scottish independence for my IA because my grandmother's side of the family go right back into that era and I want to look more into it, but my teacher is a bit worried that it may be too far back (it ran from 1298-1328).

So how far back are we allowed to go?

Thank you!

HGB.

I think the main problems with going so far back are mostly a question of finding enough resources to write a high quality essay. It's not so bad with Ancient Greece/Rome etc. because they were very enthusiastic about written records, but I know that there are long periods of history with really crap records or just a single account of something, which makes it difficult to write an essay on. If you've not got much evidence/general stuff to research, you might come a bit unstuck, so I'd suggest you do the research first and make sure that you personally feel satisfied there's enough material to use.

Otherwise, I don't see why not -- it sounds like an interesting area to look into if you can come up with a good title!