Another IA Thread

Enox

I'm in my first year of IB and I'm in HL History (Middle-Eastern)

Tomorrow, we're going to learn to research at this University for our Mock IAs. I'm looking for some topic ideas because I honestly don't know what to do mine on. I was thinking about The Crusades... but what exactly could I make my topic on?

Give me some ideas, please? If not on the Crusades, ANY help is appreciated.

I wish I could help you with the Crusades idea, but I have no knowledge of the topic.

I strongly advocate doing your IA on something covered in the course so that you have an advantage for IB exams. Maybe you could skim through a second-year student's notes (or a syllabus or past papers?) to find some topics that are covered and see if anything catches your eye. Then browse the internet and do some research on it, and that might help you get a topic, which you can then narrow down into a research question.

Good luck :wub:

Well, my history teacher strongly recommends that we do an IA about something in the 20th century, since that's what our course focuses on.

However, I decided to be different and, inspired by Shakespeare's Henry V, decided to do my IA on The Battle of Agincourt (1415). It was a lot of fun, although probably any topic I chose would have been fun.

Mostly, I would advise choosing a topic that you're already interested in and that you can find plenty of sources for. One problem I ran into with mine was that contemporary sources were difficult to find. I ended up having to do some of my research at a university library and read several works in Old French.

• 3 weeks later...

are you actually covering the crusades for your course? which topics do you have to do? did you do pre-Islamic Arabia. Is the syllabus still similar to when I was in IB?

I did mine in Islamic Architecture because it was the easier thing to analyse! I remember my teacher telling us to avoid writing about historical battles etc. because they were difficult to do. But if you guys have the resources for it it shouldn't be that difficult actually...

Have you skimmed through information on the crusades first and got a possible idea about it?

which crusade are you thinking of covering, I recall there were 7 :sadnod: I'd write about the 1st one which failed personally, just because there are so many misconceptions about the first crusade...