What would be a good law school to appy to, that accepts IB credits

amirali

I've been having trouble lately finding good universities for law that accept IB credits. My counselor at my school told me that only Suny and State funded schools accept IB credits, I'm not too sure to as of what courses I should take and what would be a good school to apply to. I want to become a judge but I heard you have to be a lawyer first and I was wondering if their was a way I could become a judge without becoming a lawyer in new york.

The courses I've picked are:

IB Visual Arts HL Year 1

IB English HL Year 1

Topics in Algebra 2/ Trig (non-regents course)

IB Environmental Systems & SOC SL

IB Theory of Knowledge Year 1

IB Spanish Ab initio SL Year 1

IB History of the americas HL Year 1

i'm considering changing my courses depending on which courses are best for becoming a judge.

• 1 month later...

Well first, you'll have to have an Undergraduate degree (Bachelors) to even get into law school. You can probably major in Pre-Law, if you want more experience before law school though. If you want to specialize in Criminal Justice, Taxes, Family Law, etc. then major in appropriate areas, even though you don't really have to have a specific major to become any type of judge. It just helps out some.

As for becoming a judge before becoming a lawyer, I don't really think that's going to happen. I'm not sure if there are any requirements for judges to be lawyers first, though judges usually have alot of experience (usually at least 3 years) in their fields.

Depending on what state you choose to do the Bar Exam in, you may have more or less competition for jobs. For example, there are more people who are trying to get positions for being a judge in New York, than in Montana.

You're allowed to take the Bar Exam in multiple states, but unless you want to know the laws for two different states, just pick one.

Edit: Most of the above information applies to the U.S, and it may apply to other countries, but ask to make sure.

Also, there are many schools willing to accept IB credentials. You just have to look for them. 8)

Edit: More schools than state funded schools, (including many private schools) accept IB credits. I don't know what your counselor was talking about lol.

Edited by JoeGuff