Which IB science to pick

nmac94

Hi,

I am wondering which is the best SL science to pick as I am quite good at science, but aren't interested in taking it to uni. My favourite part of the subject is ethics, but I don't know which IB subject concentrates on this the most. In terms of my modules so far, I got C on core biology (getting a re-sit as my teacher made me do foundation and I got full marks), and A in core chemistry and core physics. I would not say I'm particularily strong or weak in any of the three. I can't do DT as it's not offered at my college, or Environmental Systems as the college uses that to fill the group 4 requirement for people who failed to get a B in science GCSE.

If you like geekiness in maths Physics or Chemistry if you like to learn things that may be quite useful and certainly more tangible thank Physics or Chemistry since they are both very applied sciences I recommend Biology. Biology talks a little bit about ethics but really not that much.

• Like 1

If you're interested in ethics, I suppose Biology SL would be the science for you, as it really is the only IB science course (in my experience) that even touches on ethics. That said, you've done better in Chemistry and Physics than you have in Biology so far, so you may want to give Chemistry SL a try. (I would not recommend Physics SL; I haven't done it, but I'd wager it's a far amount harder than Chemistry SL, and if you're not planning on continuing with science after IB, the easier the course is for you, the better.)

Really, it's up to you between Chemistry and Biology SL, in terms of what I would recommend. Biology SL contains the most ethics (though still hardly any at all) but you've done far better in Chemistry than in Biology. I would not recommend Physics, simply because it's probably more difficult that you really need it to be, and probably less interesting for you than Biology.

• Like 1

Ok, just to confirm as I'm not sure how familier everyone is with the GCSE system, but I had to do a 'foundation' paper for biology as my teacher thought I wasn't smart enough for higher. Foundation is as easier exam, but the highest grade possible is a C. I got 100% on the exam, and therfore a C. My new teacher thinks I am about and 'A' standard in Biology, so I'm going to re-sit it, do the higher level paper, and hopefully get a better grade.

I am good at maths, but since Physics is apparently very hard and Biology has no ethics involved, I guess I'm best of looking at the Biology and Chemisty syalbi and seeing which I think I'd prefer, is that right?

Yes but just pick Bio unless you need Chem. Chem is interesting but for the average person Bio is way more appealing. I did GCSEs just like you mister so I know exactly what you are talking about. PS work really hard on your P3, C3 and B3 as they are the exams that screwed me over and got me As and one B when I was predicted all A*s.

sorry, didn't know you did, it's just that your country is listed as France and Tsubaki's is Canada, so I didn't know if you were familiar with it :) thanks alot for your help.

Well, it was very useful for me, because I had no idea that the GCSE worked that way. In that case, I'd like to revise my advice: just take Biology SL. You're clearly good at it, and it's the one that involves the most (though very little) ethics. It's also probably the easiest, and I'm sure you'd get a good mark.

Take everybody's advice with a bit of salt because we're all biased towards the subjects we took, but I'd suggest Physics.

Chemistry is not particularly practical; it's interesting sometimes but mostly it's things you need to know for chemistry-related fields and nothing else.

Biology is okay but you have to rely a lot on memorization and it's not practical either, in order to get the sort of in-depth knowledge that's important for a high-standard program they sacrifice breadth in useful info.

Whereas physics, well, that's not practical either but at least it is easy and intuitive. Almost no memorization required, everything is logical and fits together like a puzzle. If you're good at math it should be fine; in the exams you can rely on your data booklet not just for formulas and stuff but also to derive definitions (i.e. solve for the right term) and it's all quite interesting (or it is to me). Plus it works quite well with IGCSEs sometimes.. Waves at least is a breeze, and Circuits becomes much easier too (I missed the first year of IGCSE so circuits were a challenge but with the right background you should get through fine). And anyways I did integrated science so you'll be far ahead.