The EE Introduction: Lenght, form of research question?

Hey everyone,

I am doing my EE in English, on Pride and Prejudice, and my research question is based on a quote (to be more specific, my essay questions a particular line spoken by the female protagonist in relation to the whole book). So I was reading up some sample EEs in English, and found them all to be of varied lenghts; 380, 320, 590 and 760 words. What is the ideal length (because this was not mentioned in any place I looked up, e.g. the EE guide).

Also, it says in the assessment criteria for Criterion A: research question that the research question must be clearly stated in the introduction. Whereas, in none of the example EEs that I had gone through (all the essays were grade A ones, by the way) had the research question distinctly placed in the introduction. Can someone tell me what exactly is the ideal thing to do?

Thank you,

Work hard party harder.

Unless something has changed, extended essays (especially those in English, History, and the like) are expected to be as close to 4000 words as possible, without going over.

Edit: I must have misinterpreted what you said. There is no ideal length for the quotation on which to base an extended essay. As long as you can write 4000 words about it (that is to say, there is pretty much 4000 words for you to say about it. If you take a really long quote and don't analyze it as much as possible but hit the 4000 word mark, it's too long) it should be fine.

With regard to the research question, mine was not placed in my introduction, as I recall, but rather in my abstract. I mentioned what the goal of the essay was (to determine whether or not the Canadian government was justified in enacting the War Measures Act in response to FLQ terrorism) but I did not state it as a question within the essay itself. This seems, to me anyway, to be the proper way to do it.

Edited by Tsubaki

First of all, in all of your papers, make sure your Thesis (or research question) is always given somewhere in the introduction. It doesn't have to be the first sentence in your paper, but make sure that it's still there.

Next, there really isn't an ideal length for a quote. It's possible to base a paper just off a sentence long quote. The question you have to ask yourself is, can I write a 3500-4000 word paper on this quote? As long as you can successfully prove your argument within the word limit you should be fine.

Good luck on your EE comrade! :)

Also, it says in the assessment criteria for Criterion A: research question that the research question must be clearly stated in the introduction. Whereas, in none of the example EEs that I had gone through (all the essays were grade A ones, by the way) had the research question distinctly placed in the introduction. Can someone tell me what exactly is the ideal thing to do?

Thank you,

Work hard party harder.

Your introduction doesn't need to have your question written out specifically, but it should be themed around your question. Ideally you want to say why your question is significant within the novel, perhaps why it is it significant in relation to what research currently exists (if applicable) and what you intend to do in order to prove the significance of your question, in other words a brief layout of where you want your essay to take you.

You may find that you write your introduction and then finish your essay and have to go back at the end.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all the help! I really do feel more confident about writing my introduction now, and have a clear idea of what I'm going to write.

About the first of my original two questions, I apologize for asking the wrong question, it was a mistake I only realized I made now. What I meant was what is the ideal length for the introduction(not the quote)?

But thank you all for your help! :D

Thank you,

Work hard party harder

Edited by Work hard party harder

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all the help! I really do feel more confident about writing my introduction now, and have a clear idea of what I'm going to write.

About the first of my original two questions, I apologize for asking the wrong question, it was a mistake I only realized I made now. What I meant was what is the ideal length for the introduction(not the quote)?

But thank you all for your help! :D

Thank you,

Work hard party harder

I'm not sure there's an 'ideal' length, but you want it to be a succinct as possible because obviously you don't want it to take words away from the main part of your essay. Maybe a page to a page and a half (double spaced) at most? Really, it's going to depend on what you're writing about and how much there is to say in your introduction. Some topics will need much less, others maybe a bit more.

I have 800 words for my Geography EE introduction.

I allocated 400 words to explaining Sustainable Tourism

then I allocated 400 words for geographical context.

What you think? Need to be reduced?

800 seems like a lot for an introduction. Remember that an introduction is just that.. to introduce the topic. Not to really do any of the answering of your question. Your essay isn't worth anything without the answering of your EE title and so you want the meat of it to be in the body.

I should add that I'm not sure that giving yourself word limits is necessarily the best thing to do, unless you use them as a very rough guide only. If you don't adequately discuss Sustainable Tourism or whatever, it doesn't really matter that you didn't go over 400 words -- you should answer something until there's nothing relevant left to say and that should be the real cut-off point :P Or you'll be wasting your time because the examiner sees it's not been done very thoroughly and you've lost marks.

There are no rules as to what should take up what amount. If your introduction is all good stuff, maybe it can be 800 words. Really, it's your essay and your common sense and judgement as to how you think it's best answered. People shouldn't just quote random numbers off to you about proportions because, without seeing the content and context of the essay, they're not equipped to say.

Hey guys,

But thank you all for your help! 8-)

Thank you,

Work hard party harder

I'm not sure there's an 'ideal' length, but you want it to be a succinct as possible because obviously you don't want it to take words away from the main part of your essay. Maybe a page to a page and a half (double spaced) at most? Really, it's going to depend on what you're writing about and how much there is to say in your introduction. Some topics will need much less, others maybe a bit more.

Alright, thanks a million! :)

I have 800 words for my Geography EE introduction.

I allocated 400 words to explaining Sustainable Tourism

then I allocated 400 words for geographical context.

What you think? Need to be reduced?

I think 800 words is a little too much too, but as it has been said before, it all depends on your topic and how well known it is to everyone. What I mean to say is, if it is a unique and difficult to understand topic, your introduction is bound to be long. Good luck! 8-)

Edited by Work hard party harder

• 1 month later...