Ahh! IB Begins in one Week! D:

JacobSewell

I'm sure you already picked up on this simply by reading the title, but school begins in a week and I'm scared!! Is there anything that I can do to prepare for it? I've read a few books this summer, I've done a little bit a research on possible extended essay topics, and I have been reading the different posts in this forum. Is there anything else that I can do before hand? Should I start looking over the HL math topics in my course companion that I purchased? Should I study for the ACT and SAT? I've never been this nervous for school before..

Oh and also, I need an efficient method for organizing my school work. Should I buy a binder for each class? Or just folders? What about notebooks? Should I get one for each subject as well? Will I need my graphing calculator with me at all times for HL math?

Thanks for the advice! Also, I apologize for the sporadic nature of this post..I'm a little bit on edge.

If I were you I'd chill out :)

Most people do zero preparation for anything IB and come out fine. You can read stuff ahead if you'd like, but you should end up learning it all in lessons anyway. If you prepare for anything during this week just to settle your nerves, I'd look at the ACT and SAT as I'm under the impression these are the most important exams for you if you're in the US school system -- but really only to settle yourself a little bit and give you something to do, because there's no need to feel any pressure to do school work until you're at school :)

You probably should have a graphing calculator with you for all your Maths lessons, although you shouldn't need it for every lesson. I used to just carry mine around as a bit of a useful thing to have, even though it was a bit of a brick and mildly embarrassing when I forgot to remove it before going somewhere non-academic and had people look in my bag :); Ended up using it in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and just generally. That and they're kinda awesome because graphic calculators have all the letters on so you can write messages. Who wouldn't want to have that capacity at all times, I ask? :)

When I did the IB I had one of those big fat ringbinders per subject and that was fine. Just that and some lined paper to bung in the folder (and a pen, yes yes... if you want to be ultra-prepared you can even get a holepunch and be the holepunch person, only person with the holepunch that everybody borrows) and you should be sorted :)

• 3 weeks later...

oh I am in the EXACTLY SAME situation with you! my school also starts in one week and it'll be my first year in IB! I also did some preperations like you did, for you, I suggest you read some articles on time management( since it's such an important issue for successing in IB) on internet here is a great site I got a lot of ideas from:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/main/newMN_HTE.htm

also Im a big believer of positive thinking so be positive and motivated!

Good luck !!

oh I am in the EXACTLY SAME situation with you! my school also starts in one week and it'll be my first year in IB! I also did some preperations like you did, for you, I suggest you read some articles on time management( since it's such an important issue for successing in IB) on internet here is a great site I got a lot of ideas from:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/main/newMN_HTE.htm

also Im a big believer of positive thinking so be positive and motivated!

Good luck !!