Psychology Extended Essay

pnkct

I need help on something... I'm planning on writing my extended essay on psychology however I'm not taking psychology at school. I've read the Extended Essay booklet which clearly states that I shouldn't be choosing a subject if i don't take it at school. This made me really nervous. Only 2 people at my school took their EE's on psychology last year and the results of the EE's were pretty bad. One got F and the other got D. But the two misunderstood something, gave too much personal information and therefore got that bad. But I still don't know what I should do.

My topic is the relationship between unemployment and suicidal behavior.

Should I take the risk or should I just change my EE subject?

help :blink:

Honestly, I wanted to do my EE in psychology but did not have faith in my supervisors and decided to go with something safer. It depends on what you want - practice writing psychology essays or the grade you want :(. If you don't have anyone to guide you then the best you can do is look at other extended essays and try to figure out what will get you a good grade. You can read 3 excellent extended essays here and others here. If they scare the sh*t out of you then go with something safer :blink:.

Edited by blindpet

I did an EE in a subject where it was specifically stated in the guide that you should not attempt to do it without studying the subject at IB and all I can say is: obey the guide :blink: On the assumption that Psychology has the same advice and so therefore similar problems, I would strongly suggest you don't do it. A lot of the difficulty is in the approach rather than anything to do with the knowledge, and I can honestly say that if I hadn't done the subject for IB, my approach to my own EE would have been very off-target. I'd just choose a different subject and bank on a higher grade :(

We'd need a bit more info on how you play to tackle the interrelationship between unemployment and suicide but as a topic I don't see any problem with it. As long as you planned on including lots of empirical studies and evaluation of those with some balanced discussion while still supporting your thesis then your topic would have been fine :P.