Film Extended Essay

Izzie

I am planning on doing my extended essay in Film. I am looking at the representation of the Spanish Civil War in Spanish Cinema, focusing on the films of Guillermo del Toro. I feel very alone in my choice of Film. Is anyone else in the universe doing an EE in film?

I am planning on doing my extended essay in Film. I am looking at the representation of the Spanish Civil War in Spanish Cinema, focusing on the films of Guillermo del Toro. I feel very alone in my choice of Film. Is anyone else in the universe doing an EE in film?

i am doing my EE on film too

I am doing an EE that's pretty similar to this, though I am focusing on the films of German director Leni Riefenstahl and her political standings versus her artistry during WWII. So you're not alone, though I am having a wee bit of trouble writing the thing.

I am doing an EE that's pretty similar to this, though I am focusing on the films of German director Leni Riefenstahl and her political standings versus her artistry during WWII. So you're not alone, though I am having a wee bit of trouble writing the thing.

I actually did Leni Reifenstahl for my HI so I know how you feel. I did it on the existence of a fascist aesthetic in relation to her work and the Nazi ideology. I had quite a hard time, especially fitting film history into the elements of the HL. I'm thinking probably doing an EE on her would be easier but their is so much to say and it is really hard to make judgments on her work. you can't ignore the pure genius of them. Are you doing anything about the existance of Nazi ideaology in her work after the Nazi regime like The Last of the Nuba?

i am doing my EE on film too

What are you doing yours on?

I studied 'Triumph of the Will'. It is very interesting, you will have loads to discuss. Good luck :gluck:

Even though I take IB Film, I didn't choose it as my EE subject. I have two friends who did though: one will discuss the effect of Russian editing on films today and the other will talk about how the Spiderman or Batman (I forget) movies have evolved over the years.

• 5 weeks later...

hey i chose my topic on compositing (a type of special effect) and its effect on the film industry as a whole and internationally. reading all your topics made me realize that i need to be much more specific.. i am definitely going to change mine, any ideas PLEASE?

im sorda desperate...

• 9 months later...

I wish I had written mine on Film. It likely would have required less time than what students of my school spent on History and English.

I would just be very careful with choosing an RQ that is not so heavily integrated with history/politics. Like English, Film EEs need to be analysis of film technique, and not merely about how films portrayed event X.

Talking about Spanish Civil War in del Toro's oeuvre is probably not as strong as looking at to what extent del Toro qualifies as an auteur, then using the conflict as a piece of the greater discussion. Similarly, looking at the ways in which Triumph was considered groundbreaking cinematically is better than trying to nitpick ideology out of it (which is rather a redundant task anyways when one really considers it.) The topics on Russian editing and the evolution of superheros sound much more promising.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm also thinking about film for my EE, I have 2 possible RQ's one on how Steven Spielberg's (or any great director/cinematographer out there) visual style affects the mood of the film, something like that, or possibly the connection between visual style and it's resulting psychological effect on the viewers. I was also considering something delving on how Independent Film-makers are the forerunners of creative visual style.