French B HL

rainbow

What do you guys think about the French B HL exam??

I thought the texts in paper 1 were reasonably understandable especially the literary one. I usually struggle to understand them, but the ones in the exam were ok.

The essay titles on Paper 2 were pretty tough in my opinion. When I opened the paper I had to giggle when I saw the chickens...400 words on chickens in a cage?? Definitely don't have enough vocab on farming

When I saw Sartre's quote "L'enfer, c'est les autres" I was wondering if I m sitting an A language exam. seriously how can they expect someone to write a philosophy essay after 5 years of learning french? my vocab is far too limited for that.

In the end I chose the interview with a guy who just returned from an island and his first impression of modern society. I actually enjoyed that essay.

Which essays did you choose?

I too thought the texts were overall quite good, but I'm afraid I didn't put enough details into my section B essay. For paper 2 I actually chose "l'infer, c'est les autres" and I tried to evaluate it using the examples of Huis Clos by Sartre, Etranger by Camus and Un Coeur Simple by Flaubert. I wasn't able to go into masses of detail for Huis Clos but I think I was able to support my conclusion that such a statement is extremely subjective and dependes on how one looks at it. I figure that its not an A language exam, so they cannot expect that level.

Edited by calsbo

• 1 month later...