IB Music SL/HL exam

AlphaTangoEcho

Well, it has been over 24 hrs since I finished the IB Music exam.

So, does anyone know the songs that were on the exam, besides Dido and Aeneas, and the Kyrie from a William Byrd Mass?

EDIT: And there was an indian song "Soundz from the dez" by B Buttu (?)

Edited by AlphaTangoEcho

The second track was Romantic, and I could have sworn it was Stravinsky, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

And "Soundz from the Des" isn't the same as the one you'll get if you type it into Youtube...the one on the test wasn't in English, and had a very different rhythm, vocal pattern, and instrumentation.

I thought the test went well, though.

I took IB Music last year and one of my friends who took the test this year called me up to tell me about it :] I was excited to hear about the bhangra. I also heard that there was something Eastern European-ish on there? Could someone clarify? I was wondering if it might be klezmer or something, my friend wasn't quite sure.

I also thought the Eastern European piece was German, but 2/5 people in my room thought it was Hebrew, and the other 2 didn't know. Also, I thought the second piece was 20th century, because it was kinda all over the place, but i'm not positive.

Also, what two structural features did everyone use for 1B (Dido and Aeneas)?

SL TZ1 here

Structural Devices used for 1b: Passacaglia and fugue. Dido's Lament, and Ah, Belinda! for the first one, and some of the Chorus examples for the second one.

Man, i lucked out big time on the first two tracks of the CD. Name of the first track was given to us, but it was "Prelude to the Witches" and "Harm's our delight". There were 9 people doing IB music in our class, so we split up the entire work between the 9 of us. The ones i got: 14-20. 14 and 15 were the two that were on the test, which made me very happy. Very easy to answer 1a

Second track, I almost screamed aloud with joy the second i heard it. Ottorino Respighi's "Pines of the Appian Way", the fourth and final part of "The Pines of Rome", and one of my favorite pieces of music ever. Italian Impressionism. I lucked out on that.

Third track, i said it was latin/reggae because of the rhythm and instrumentation. I had somebody tell me afterwards that it was yiddish, which was a bit of a "FML" moment for me.

BTW: Did anybody mention that "Soundz from the Des" sounded synthesized/electronic for some parts?

Edited by ZTX

SL TZ1 here

Structural Devices used for 1b: Passacaglia and fugue. Dido's Lament, and Ah, Belinda! for the first one, and some of the Chorus examples for the second one.

Man, i lucked out big time on the first two tracks of the CD. Name of the first track was given to us, but it was "Prelude to the Witches" and "Harm's our delight". There were 9 people doing IB music in our class, so we split up the entire work between the 9 of us. The ones i got: 14-20. 14 and 15 were the two that were on the test, which made me very happy. Very easy to answer 1a

Second track, I almost screamed aloud with joy the second i heard it. Ottorino Respighi's "Pines of the Appian Way", the fourth and final part of "The Pines of Rome", and one of my favorite pieces of music ever. Italian Impressionism. I lucked out on that.

Third track, i said it was latin/reggae because of the rhythm and instrumentation. I had somebody tell me afterwards that it was yiddish, which was a bit of a "FML" moment for me.

BTW: Did anybody mention that "Soundz from the Des" sounded synthesized/electronic for some parts?

Ahhhh you're so lucky. Our music class was combined with an AP Music Theory class (yeah my school is cheap) and our class got like no attention, so I didn't focus on Dido and Aeneas as much as I would've liked to. But I talked about the basso continuo and word painting. That's so amazing that you knew the second piece, I'm so jealous haha. But I think I did a decent job with it. My friend knew the Renaissance Mass that we had too.

Ahhhh you're so lucky. Our music class was combined with an AP Music Theory class (yeah my school is cheap) and our class got like no attention, so I didn't focus on Dido and Aeneas as much as I would've liked to. But I talked about the basso continuo and word painting. That's so amazing that you knew the second piece, I'm so jealous haha. But I think I did a decent job with it. My friend knew the Renaissance Mass that we had too.

Actually, our class was combined with AP Music Theory as well. I would have been completely screwed on the Dido and Aeneas question had i not been so lucky with the excerpt. Basically, most of the class was dedicated to AP, with some scattered IB review here and there starting second semester. Prior knowledge of music + last minute vocabulary and time period studying = I think i did 4-6 range.

Edited by ZTX

Actually, our class was combined with AP Music Theory as well. I would have been completely screwed on the Dido and Aeneas question had i not been so lucky with the excerpt. Basically, most of the class was dedicated to AP, with some scattered IB review here and there starting second semester. Prior knowledge of music + last minute vocabulary and time period studying = I think i did 4-6 range.

Oh gotcha. That's still pretty awesome. I'm definitely in that range too. I got an 17/20 on my Solo Performance, and hopefully I did well on my Musical Investigation. I compared Roots Reggae with Contemporary R&B.

SL TZ1 here

I knew the symphony was 20th century.

I thought the language on the 3rd track was German.

Yeah, I talked about how Soundz from the Dez was electronic when I justified classifying the music as modern.

Yeah, I talked about how Soundz from the Dez was electronic when I justified classifying the music as modern.

Premiered in 1924, so it is 20th century in time period, but impressionism in style imo.

Premiered in 1924, so it is 20th century in time period, but impressionism in style imo.

yeah, I missed impressionism.

I didn't take the exam either, but heard about the Bhangra song. As a punjabi, I felt compelled to find out exactly what it was, as none of my friends remembered specifics. So, thanks for clarifying the name. The song is by Balbir Bittu and a preview of it can be heard here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QVRQVY/?tag=lastfmmp3-20

Once again, I didn't take the exam. But, from the information I have garnered, I am pretty sure this is right!

I didn't take the exam either, but heard about the Bhangra song. As a punjabi, I felt compelled to find out exactly what it was, as none of my friends remembered specifics. So, thanks for clarifying the name. The song is by Balbir Bittu and a preview of it can be heard here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QVRQVY/?tag=lastfmmp3-20

Once again, I didn't take the exam. But, from the information I have garnered, I am pretty sure this is right!

yup, that's the song.

Dido and Aeneas questions I talked about word painting, basso continuo, scotch snaps, and some other stuff for the first question. Second question I talked about basso continuo, scotch snaps, the French overture, word painting, figured bass, and the Doctrine of Affections.

The second piece I didn't recognize as Pines of Rome, but most everyone else in my class did.(they sight read it in orchestra as a possible piece for contest)

Third piece I thought was modernish German music. My classmate is in IB German and said the song was, in fact, in German.

The Kyrie was given and I talked about cadences. Also, I mentioned it was either Renaissance or Baroque, and W Byrd is William Byrd, a renaissance composer. He lived from 1540 to 1623, so he was alive during the transition from Renaissance to Baroque.

Last piece I did discuss the electronic sound of it, and mentioned it must be a modern piece since those electronic instruments and electronic editing are a new invention. I agree it definitely is Indian as well.

Overall, I think I may have gotten a 5 or 6, but that is optimistic. I had very little to say about the context of the pieces, and I have no idea if I gave good responses for the structural and musical devices either. I could easily do even worse than that. I do, however, think my performance tapes from my choir will get an excellent grade, so that will help a lot since it is 50% of my grade, and my MI I don't really know. My teacher said it was good but he doesn't really know what is good and what is not.